Watch regulation workshop

General chit chat and off topics
nightwatchman

Re: Watch regulation workshop

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Nov 2013 12:04

KKFA wrote:I am good to go on all dates except 21st.
Since now we havea probable space, suggest we get the date line up first... no?
Well, I think people must agree to pay a small fee for using the room. Otherwise, it is still no-go. I am okay with the date line-up but I can only do one Saturday evening. I will try to keep the group as small as possible. This is a public service to the brothers at Seikoclubsg. I don't make a single cent from this.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 15 Nov 2013 14:13

nightwatchman wrote:
KKFA wrote:I am good to go on all dates except 21st.
Since now we havea probable space, suggest we get the date line up first... no?
Well, I think people must agree to pay a small fee for using the room. Otherwise, it is still no-go. I am okay with the date line-up but I can only do one Saturday evening. I will try to keep the group as small as possible. This is a public service to the brothers at Seikoclubsg. I don't make a single cent from this.
Totally underxtand and grateful to you to volunteer to share this with us.

Are you flexible on location, as bro pokefan did say queenstown library can get a room for 54 bucks over 3 hours. Group kept to 8 excluding you, each need to pay less 6.75.should be ok bah.

Personally, I have no objections to share cost.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Nov 2013 15:26

KKFA wrote:Are you flexible on location, as bro pokefan did say queenstown library can get a room for 54 bucks over 3 hours. Group kept to 8 excluding you, each need to pay less 6.75.should be ok bah.
I don't drive, so I have to carry my barang barang taking public transport. Queenstown is out of the way for me. By the way, does Queenstown Library opens late on Saturdays?

Also, we don't need 3 hours for this workshop. If we don't stay throughout the duration, it is money wasted and I strongly object to this.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 15 Nov 2013 16:05

Folks,

The logistics of this workshop are more challenging than I thought. Let's KIV. I think we need a better plan so that people don't have to pay anything (my objective is for a sharing session rather than a formal workshop). I will hold onto the idea until something better comes up. Who knows a kind brother may be able to let us use his meeting room for free. ;)

Nonetheless, I am very glad to see there are so many of you who are keen. Mechanical watch servicing is a dying trade not only in Singapore but in other parts of the world too. We probably have less than 50 horologists left locally. There are less than 10 formally trained and fully-qualified ones (most of them charge exorbitant prices). There are only a handful of good ones and most of them are becoming older every year. Their hands are not as steady as before and they may not have the energy to service watches anymore. Therefore, I am happy to see so many brothers are so keen to keep the spirit alive.

I will always be here to help our brothers, so let's keep this thread up and running.
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 18 Nov 2013 23:56

nightwatchman wrote:
big-e-294 wrote:
I've completed a few mods and that's it, but it's all superficial, change hands, dial, etc. nothing too technical into the movt. My technique is definitely all wrong.
It looks like you already got some hands-on experience. I don't know if this workshop suits you. Just very basic information on watch regulating and maintenance.
There is always something to learn. Pls count me in.

Sent from The Force
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 19 Nov 2013 06:20

big-e-294 wrote:There is always something to learn. Pls count me in.
As mentioned above, the workshop/sharing session is on hold until further notice. We need a better plan and a place (free for all to use if possible).

Inscribed on my Rosetta Stone
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 19 Nov 2013 12:58

Sad to hear that you are putting this on hold. In any case thanks for the offer.
Just for information, queenstown library room is open till 8.30 pm on Saturdays for booking. You can count on mw to help with your transport. Just let me know where to pick u. As long as the equipment is transportable by car, no issue.
I think the bros here have to say whether they willing to pay and how much. I do feel that for the guys here 10 bucks each should not be an, issue. If it is , we can book the room by the hour at 20 bucka and each only pays 2.5.
If everyone wants free, then enough said.
Thanks again nightwatchman.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 19 Nov 2013 17:30

KKFA wrote:Sad to hear that you are putting this on hold. In any case thanks for the offer.
Just for information, queenstown library room is open till 8.30 pm on Saturdays for booking. You can count on mw to help with your transport. Just let me know where to pick u. As long as the equipment is transportable by car, no issue.
I think the bros here have to say whether they willing to pay and how much. I do feel that for the guys here 10 bucks each should not be an, issue. If it is , we can book the room by the hour at 20 bucka and each only pays 2.5.
If everyone wants free, then enough said.
Thanks again nightwatchman.
Why not we do it this way... I went to the Queenstown Public Library website and saw the rental is $20 an hour for a 10-seat meeting room.I don't know if you guys are willing to pay $20 x 2 hours = $40/9 = about $4.50 per person. I have decided to accept 9 so that people pay less.

Date-wise, we can do either on Saturday, December 14th or 28th. You guys decide. I can't make it on the 7th and 21st December, sorry. Time-wise, let's do it from 7pm to 9pm.

Okay, now transportation. I live in AMK. I do have a few barang barang to bring along. The largest item is a desk lamp which I need to work on the watch. I don't think I will bring a timing machine. Too bulky. I don't drive, so it will be great if someone who drive can pick me up at, say, near a MRT station or bus interchange.

Now, I do have an alternate location in mind. I know Queenstown is out of the way for many folks, myself included. I remember there is a Ya Kun Coffeeshop on the 2nd floor of 100AM at Tanjong Pagar. The coffeshop is very quiet on weekend evenings (they open until 10pm). I can conduct the workshop there. All of us just have to buy some drinks. Now comes the tricky part... The place is a bit dim. I don't know if they will let us use their power outlet for a desk lamp. I think if we ask them nicely, they will probably let us. Let's see how.
Last edited by nightwatchman on 19 Nov 2013 21:03, edited 1 time in total.
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 19 Nov 2013 20:18

As said earlier, you can count o me for transport. I am ok for the two dates mentioned.
If it is two hours then we should go for 6.30 to 8.30 as the booking ends at 8.30.
Otherwise amk library also can at doubke the price.
Really I do not think that paying such a token sum is a problem for most of the bros here. I think now is a good time for the rest of the bros who indicated interest to speak up.
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 19 Nov 2013 21:07

KKFA wrote:If it is two hours then we should go for 6.30 to 8.30 as the booking ends at 8.30.
I need time to setup and pack up. About 15 minutes before and after will do. The library staff will start chasing us around 8:15 - 8:20 pm. So, I think we ought to start a bit earlier.
Pokefan

Post by Pokefan » 19 Nov 2013 21:18

Okay with both dates and locations.
Location perhaps see nightwatchman's convenience?
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 19 Nov 2013 21:28

Pokefan wrote:Okay with both dates and locations.
Call me cheapskate. I prefer a free (or minimal cost) and easy location. No need to rush.
TheChef

Post by TheChef » 19 Nov 2013 21:51

nightwatchman wrote:
Pokefan wrote:Okay with both dates and locations.
Call me cheapskate. I prefer a free (or minimal cost) and easy location. No need to rush.
HDB void deck?
"Please touch your own favorite watch with your kind heart and love forever." - Ikuo Tokunaga, Chief Designer of SEIKO Dive Watches and Sports Watches
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 20 Nov 2013 00:18

nightwatchman wrote:
KKFA wrote:If it is two hours then we should go for 6.30 to 8.30 as the booking ends at 8.30.
I need time to setup and pack up. About 15 minutes before and after will do. The library staff will start chasing us around 8:15 - 8:20 pm. So, I think we ought to start a bit earlier.
How long is the workshop, I took it that when you said 2 hours, that included everything. If dont want to rush then take tge 3 hour package. 54 bucks. 9 guys its still only u bucks each. I think guys who spend thousands on their watch collection can part with 6 bucks, right? If not then enough said..
nightwatchman

Post by nightwatchman » 20 Nov 2013 00:23

Guys,

I think we really need a more solid plan before we start this workshop cum sharing session. First and foremost, the response is lukewarm. Few voices but mostly keep their silence. Secondly, finding a suitable yet free-to-use location is still our biggest challenge. Thirdly, I still need to fine tune the outline a bit more to fit into a 2-hour time frame. We cannot be too ambitious.

Again, I think we should hold onto this a while more. I don't think it is worth everybody's time and money to learn something they probably already know, or information which can be sourced from the Internet easily.
Evirobie

Post by Evirobie » 20 Nov 2013 17:41

I don't mind paying for the rental of the room or space. Glad that Nightwatchman offer to teach. Would definitely like to learn how to tinker with the watch.

Sent by the yellow minions.
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 24 Nov 2013 12:52

Anybody has a condo hall available ?

It's like our first SCS gathering..

I just check AMK CC, there's a multi-purpose room, going at $60 an hour.

There's never going to be a totally free venue for use, finding a cafe isn't the best idea since we can't reserve seats and still have to buy food and drinks.

Any one living in AMK has other alternatives ?
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 25 Nov 2013 18:18

Location is not the problem as I told bro nightwatchman he can count on me for transport ro anywhere in singapore. That said I believe amk library also have room for rent.
The probem, therefore I believe is that very few bros who expressed interest to attend also express a willingness to pay. Just check the previous posts to see how many have even bothered to reply. I can well understand bro nightwatchman's reticence.
I for one is willing and ready to pay my share. Can those bros that say they want to go also make an effort to reply in the affirmative or negative? Once we are sure the participants are willing to pay, we can then proceed to confirm the date and book the venue. This go about in circles is unnerving.
Cheers.
Diospada

Post by Diospada » 25 Nov 2013 19:29

Willing and able to pay. Let me know if i need to confirm anything else.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk
Pokefan

Post by Pokefan » 25 Nov 2013 23:03

My previous posts should show that i'm willing. Anw just note that the room in amk more exp, cause bigger. Haha.