Panerai watches - any info for a newbie?

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
tzetze

Panerai watches - any info for a newbie?

Post by tzetze » 16 Feb 2012 01:32

hi all,

was looking at panerai watches, dont get why they are so exp... also, some models can cost like 5 digits but other models can cost like 4k onwards (for 2nd hand), but the specs look almost the same (maybe LE or sth so much more ex)

any links to read up about panarai watches?
eawtan

Re: Panerai watches - any info for a newbie?

Post by eawtan » 16 Feb 2012 08:37

Lookup :

http://www.paneraisource.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.paneraisource.com/forum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.paneristi.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Most PAMs still maintain their "traditional" look. I personally feel those with ETA base movements are not "worth it". They have some speciality inhouse movements (eg 10day automatic, 8day handwind )
I do NOT need another watch , I have enough watches ...
Paladium

Post by Paladium » 16 Feb 2012 11:46

Panerai has two lines: Luminor and Radomir

Luminor, sportier of the two with the trademark half moon crownguard is divided into two main segments:

Historic: is closer to the historic roots of the co, mainly manual wind, base models are entry line(uses eta movement like Pam 000,112,111, etc).

Contemporary: automatic, some very popular models come from this line, overall a more modern feel (Pam90,312,359, etc)

Radomirs: those pillow shaped cases, considered the dress watches of the brand.

The models that uses decorated ETA movements are the cheaper ones starting from $5k. They are very basic models with no features, a second hand at most. The more expensive ones usually use the in-house movements, have additional features like gmt, special/limited editions, etc. Personally I prefer the basic models not because they are cheap but because they are closer to the original Pams in the sense they just tell the time with no complicated features. An hour hand a minute hand that's it.

For a company that entered the mainstream market barely 10yrs ago, it's rise is meteoric. But I guess the main attraction of this brand is its roots as a military instrument provider for the Italian navy and everything from those instruments to the original panerai watches was kept in secret until recent years.

The links above are more comprehensive, take your time to read through.
Hoot 1st talk later!
tzetze

Post by tzetze » 16 Feb 2012 16:22

thanks bros for the links to read thru :P

i like the watch for its distinctiveness. v easy to see a panerai, and i like it huge dial :P
telepgm

Post by telepgm » 18 Feb 2012 16:48

How about some Panny Tributes from Ken Trading ot Dievas? They cost a fraction of the price, but the quality of the watch is pretty solid. I got a Dievas Vintage 3646 as a present from my wife 2 years ago and it's still serving me very well.

With it's sterile dial, the watch is just classy. Just my 2 cents for your consideration.

Cheers,
Tele
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 08 Mar 2012 23:42

Personally I'd rather get a homage than an original pam with eta movements.
However pam has some nice inhouse movements .... (but they cost a bomb and more)
I do NOT need another watch , I have enough watches ...