New ETA movement with 80 hrs power reserve!

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
gasmancc

New ETA movement with 80 hrs power reserve!

Post by gasmancc » 06 Mar 2013 13:14

From watchuseek:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f62/80-hou ... 24306.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally don't own a Tissot but this is definitely something to consider..more than 3 days power reserve for a slower beat rate...what do you guys think? ;)
Ed.YEO

Re: New ETA movement with 80 hrs power reserve!

Post by Ed.YEO » 06 Mar 2013 15:10

A good breakthrough in development, though the beat frequency is a bit lower... machiam Seiko's 4R15...
Still, now in early stage, production volume not high enuff to bring the price down. Maybe wait for another year ba. Wait for more models to use this new movement.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
eawtan

Post by eawtan » 06 Mar 2013 16:18

Nice, hope uhr.info will be able to produce variants using this movement ...
I do NOT need another watch , I have enough watches ...
zeikphur

Post by zeikphur » 07 Mar 2013 14:35

wow 80hrs PR, not too shabby
clarencetan

Post by clarencetan » 30 Mar 2013 19:18

This will beat Grand Seiko which only has 72 hrs.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 02 Apr 2013 00:57

eawtan wrote:Nice, hope uhr.info will be able to produce variants using this movement ...
dunno when will they be adopting this movement to their other watches... perhaps 2yrs later? Recently not much activity from them ley...
By the way i just saw 2 or 3 variants displayed @ Marina Sq TISSOT boutique, listed as $1k++. So maybe after discount, can get @ 8++~9++ elsewhere? Mustafa still do not have such model yet...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
McNulty

Post by McNulty » 02 Apr 2013 03:54

gasmancc wrote:From watchuseek:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f62/80-hou ... 24306.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally don't own a Tissot but this is definitely something to consider..more than 3 days power reserve for a slower beat rate...what do you guys think? ;)
Don't like.

A good power reserve for a vintage military watch like a PAM 8 days sounds good.

But Tissot for me is the brand of the racing chronographs. I would want better 33600 bph on them.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 02 Apr 2013 08:18

McNulty wrote:
gasmancc wrote:From watchuseek:

Don't like.

A good power reserve for a vintage military watch like a PAM 8 days sounds good.

But Tissot for me is the brand of the racing chronographs. I would want better 33600 bph on them.
Yup... For the price of more than usd$5k for 8days P.R. ... Certainly worth paying for.
Tissot should mass produce 36kbph movements to counter the stiff competition from the japs. But, the Swiss are just too conservative. A good example is Zenith. Got numbers of models with 36kbph, but mostly comes with small and short seconds hand.
John.ChiaTC

Post by John.ChiaTC » 02 Apr 2013 09:19

did some search, thou that Swatch Group stop using ETA movement? just wondering is this the clone movement with 80 hrs?

http://www.luxist.com/2009/12/30/swatch ... ements-to/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by John.ChiaTC on 02 Apr 2013 09:21, edited 2 times in total.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 02 Apr 2013 09:21

John.ChiaTC wrote:did some search, thou that Swatch Group stop using ETA movement? just wondering is this the clone movement with 80 hrs?
你看错了吧?
ETA is a gem/gold spinner of the SWATCH Group! How would they give up on ETA? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
John.ChiaTC

Post by John.ChiaTC » 02 Apr 2013 09:23

Ed.YEO wrote:
John.ChiaTC wrote:did some search, thou that Swatch Group stop using ETA movement? just wondering is this the clone movement with 80 hrs?
你看错了吧?
ETA is a gem/gold spinner of the SWATCH Group! How would they give up on ETA? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
orh, i still learning. :(
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 02 Apr 2013 09:44

I think you mis read that article ? I think it's more like Swatch group limiting the sale of ETA movement to watch companies outside Swatch Group. That's why we see a lot of brands moving to Miyota, Seiko OEM and Sellita for alternatives.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
John.ChiaTC

Post by John.ChiaTC » 02 Apr 2013 09:56

roo7 wrote:I think you mis read that article ? I think it's more like Swatch group limiting the sale of ETA movement to watch companies outside Swatch Group. That's why we see a lot of brands moving to Miyota, Seiko OEM and Sellita for alternatives.
ic, then those outside of Swatch Group using ETA movement on their watches will be more prices that those using others brands of movement? Supply and demand, less supply and price go up.
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 02 Apr 2013 10:00

John.ChiaTC wrote:
roo7 wrote:I think you mis read that article ? I think it's more like Swatch group limiting the sale of ETA movement to watch companies outside Swatch Group. That's why we see a lot of brands moving to Miyota, Seiko OEM and Sellita for alternatives.
ic, then those outside of Swatch Group using ETA movement on their watches will be more prices that those using others brands of movement? Supply and demand, less supply and price go up.
Yes and no actually. Cos of this move by the swatch group, several brands are developing their own movements. Thus pricing higher also.

Depends in the movements used. A laco for example using a miyota movement is significantly cheaper than a same model using eta 2824.
John.ChiaTC

Post by John.ChiaTC » 02 Apr 2013 10:24

rogue_hog wrote:
John.ChiaTC wrote: ic, then those outside of Swatch Group using ETA movement on their watches will be more prices that those using others brands of movement? Supply and demand, less supply and price go up.
Yes and no actually. Cos of this move by the swatch group, several brands are developing their own movements. Thus pricing higher also.

Depends in the movements used. A laco for example using a miyota movement is significantly cheaper than a same model using eta 2824.
I saw Helson Skindiver is using Eta for the first batch with sold out. Believe the demand of Skindiver is pop and now they change to Miyota for the 2nd batch selling at USD 749 http://www.helsonwatch.com/skindiver.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post by 004 » 02 Apr 2013 11:47

80hrs thats impressive , the watch looks 8-) also .

Post by 004 » 02 Apr 2013 11:50

clarencetan wrote:This will beat Grand Seiko which only has 72 hrs.
:o
Last edited by 004 on 27 May 2013 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
ckw

Post by ckw » 03 Apr 2013 02:47

just read that the Blancpain Villeret Tourbillon has 168 hours of power reserve and since its Blancpain and a Tourbillon, it also comes with a stunning price tag of £80,000, which is roughly just under S$150,000, not too bad a price given S$ strong exchange nowadays...but i can only look see for this piece of wonder...
Ed.YEO

TISSOT POWERMATIC 80 now available @ MUSTAFA!

Post by Ed.YEO » 25 Apr 2013 22:30

Just came back from MUSTAFA, both SERANGOON PLAZA and SYED ALWI wing.

Price starts from SGD$10xx(for SS casing, bracelet with either SILVER dial or BLACK dial) till 11xx(RG+SS dual tone casing, bracelet with either SILVER dial or BLACK dial) comes with 2yrs warranty.

Strangely, on the advertising billboard outside Mustafa, there's the word Chronometer printed on the dial, but physical product... don't.
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 26 Apr 2013 01:00

Typically a larger barrel and/or longer a mainspring will increase the running time of a watch.

So Tissot, by stretching the mainspring and making the barrel core smaller (thus increasing its diameter), is able to achieve the PR of 80hrs. The max size of the barrel is also limited by the size of the mainplate.

There is a fine balance between a torque (which directly proportional to the width of the mainspring. Thicker=more torque) and PR. The longer the running time will result in a decrease in the torque. The torque will usually decrease each day by no more than 15%. Thus affecting the constant timing rate. By tweaking the balance and lowering the frequency it is able to keep a regular beat, in the decrease in torque over each day.

All this while being able to keep the watch small in size (remember the mainplate size will limit the max barrel size). Not too bad for a "mid-priced" watch.
It's really a challenge to balance all these contributing factors.