[31513 New Addn.]- [TISSOT]- POWERMATIC80 yay or nay?

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
Ed.YEO

[31513 New Addn.]- [TISSOT]- POWERMATIC80 yay or nay?

Post by Ed.YEO » 31 May 2013 23:45

More Juice! More Power! Yet... i don't feel tough... duh...

After years of buying autos that are mostly base on ETA2824 mechanical movements, today i take the plunge and made my first purchase on one such mechanical watch touted with more power reserve, roughly more than 2 times than 38hrs 2824 movements in the market. A TISSOT dress watch with C07.111 POWERMATIC 80 movement.
It has been numbers of years since my last TISSOT, which ends with a quartz chrono. And ever since then, TISSOT designs does not appeal much to me. As during that time, when the mechanicals autos are affordable, the design trends are rather dull even with a big organization like TISSOT, would tend to look like copies to TITONI dress watch design or, more less appealing compared to the Japanese makes.
Then in recent years, when the VISIODATE and LeLocle released from TISSOT, i had been looking back at TISSOT's range once again.

The dial does not have textured surface, perhaps to blend with the slim bar indexes and the polished hours and minutes hands. The hands, personally, feels to classic. Overall... the dial looks kind of a little fusion between modern and classic. Such as the one with the ROMAN indexes and priced a close to a hundred lesser than what i paid for this. Duh...I'm a bracelet guy... so the lack of bracelet to the ROMAN dial, is a no for me...
There are of course better looking ones than this i picked. Particularly the LeLocle and the VISIODATE with vintage TISSOT logo, however, both are fitted with the good old reliable 2824 automatics. At the same price, with a difference of few tens, this piece is fitted with a different movement, the C07.111.

From far, most would not be able to identify the movement as non 2824 automatic. Until we look closely on the seconds hand rocking movement, we could get a rough idea that the beat is different than 2824 that sweeps. By the way, the movement can be hand winded, as well as hackable like 2824. Except for rock and sweep motion difference.

The bracelet is made up of 7 section per row. And doesn't look so classic with the hands, however the slim parts blends well with the bar indexes on the dial. As a dress watch, most would expect to have butterfly buckle, so does this. Personally, i would prefer the snap lock type clasp over this... The bracelet is polished, though some may expect Beads of RICE type bracelet for dress watches. This is more to modern fusion.
The case is polished, hence will easily be scratched if not often hidden under the cuff of those who wears long sleeves. To those who wears short sleeve shirts like me, and clumsy... sooner or later, the case will be filled with scars of scratches.

So... will i get another POWERMATIC 80s?
This is a real tough question. Especially to a seasoned buyer to mid-high beat movement watches that beats @ more than 28kbph, and is still doubtful whether this new generation movement will be able to move along with times. After all... 2824 has been around for decades... :roll: :roll:
Probably... yes... if the POWERMATIC 80 is employed in the next generation of VISIODATE and LeLOCLE? Hee~~~ :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Without further ado... more pics, and more to follow on other dates...

3rd day update...

Last edited by Ed.YEO on 02 Jun 2013 17:06, edited 1 time in total.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Vinc04

Re: [31513 New Addn.]- [TISSOT]- POWERMATIC80 yay or nay?

Post by Vinc04 » 01 Jun 2013 22:23

I'll give it a nay if the watch is for myself. Main Reason below

1. The outlook (dial and hands) are too plain.. There isn't much efforts put in by the designers to make it a "Tissot" dress watch.. Till now I still don't see a particular uniquely "Tissot" design in any of their watch. Somehow the "Tissot" identity is not yet to be seen in their dress watch series. Take for example Longines, longines dress watch really has a strong "identity" in it- you look at one and you will know it has the Longines heritage in its blood.. Somehow.. Tissot dress watch design is still not on par in crafting a uniquely Tissot dress watch image/ IDENTITY compared to the Tissot racing theme or extreme sports identity models. so I rather get those tissot ABC digital watch.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 01 Jun 2013 23:51

So far... the best looking one still goes to LeLOCLE and VISIODATE.

The vintage logo used on VISIODATE dial, with the combination of large but slim crown with the slightly convex crytal, differentiates it against all other dress watches in the market.

As much as TISSOT design team tries hard, even the texture dial when seen from far may seems to be a shadow image from LONGINES. It's only when one walks closer and pay more attention to the large and slim crown as well as the calligraphic words of LeLOCLE printed on the dial to identify it as TISSOT.

I just came back from MUSTAFA, taken a closer look @ BALMAIN's dress auto... more plain to your expectation...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 02 Jun 2013 00:04

Actually tissot does have another dress watch, the "sovereign" model... Heritage model, with acrylic crystal and blued hands..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
softup

Post by softup » 02 Jun 2013 00:06

The current range of powermatic 80 movement design not my liking ...
If the design I like it will be a yay.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 02 Jun 2013 00:46

herzausstahl wrote:Actually tissot does have another dress watch, the "sovereign" model... Heritage model, with acrylic crystal and blued hands..
yer mean this?
or this...?
So far i have not seen it elsewhere, including Bras Basah wor...
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 02 Jun 2013 01:27

This one bro!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 02 Jun 2013 17:07

updated with additional pics.

Post by 004 » 02 Jun 2013 18:56

Enjoy your new Tissot , theres a watchmaker that i know which i have had discussions with , he speaks very highly of Tissot movements & the company .
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 02 Jun 2013 19:06

MIKER wrote:... theres a watchmaker that i know which i have had discussions with , he speaks very highly of Tissot movements & the company .
Well... I wouldn't be surprised. After all... ETA movements is used in lots of brands and watches.
But, if your watchmaker is referring to vintage movements before the common ETAs fitted TISSOTs... we will need to dig onto the details of those movements... :D

Post by 004 » 02 Jun 2013 19:44

^^
He actually advises me that Tissot manufactures many ETA parts for Omega & other ETA movement brands , he says to me dont waste my money on the bigger ETA brand names .
If i must have a Swiss watch save my money & buy Tissot or Oris piece , he claims that you get a top Swiss watch , without huge mark ups in price of the more popular Swiss brands .
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 05 Jun 2013 09:35

MIKER wrote:^^
He actually advises me that Tissot manufactures many ETA parts for Omega & other ETA movement brands , he says to me dont waste my money on the bigger ETA brand names .
If i must have a Swiss watch save my money & buy Tissot or Oris piece , he claims that you get a top Swiss watch , without huge mark ups in price of the more popular Swiss brands .
Didn't know about this... Well among Tissot and Oris, I'm more inclined towards Oris as it has always been "branded" as a watch for professional.. Pilots.. Racers.. Etc etc.. And their design is chunky and has a lot of weight.. I like the feel of it..

Seriously I haven't own one Oris yet.. But is very interested to be a owner of one... Maybe it's really time to look around Oris more often

Post by 004 » 05 Jun 2013 14:53

Vinc04 wrote: Seriously I haven't own one Oris yet.. But is very interested to be a owner of one... Maybe it's really time to look around Oris more often
I also really like Oris divers , they are very nice pieces . Late in 2012 i visted the new Oris boutique at "Plaza Singapura" , i found it by chance after getting off at the Dhoby Ghaut MRT & exploring the surrounds "Plaza Singapura" had only just reopened at the time .
The Oris store was offering a grand opening special of 30% off the entire Oris range , i was impressed by the Oris divers .

http://www.publicistpr.com/press/luxury ... -singapura" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 05 Jun 2013 22:35

Vinc04 wrote:
MIKER wrote:^^
Didn't know about this... Well among Tissot and Oris, I'm more inclined towards Oris as it has always been "branded" as a watch for professional.. Pilots.. Racers.. Etc etc.. And their design is chunky and has a lot of weight.. I like the feel of it..

Seriously I haven't own one Oris yet.. But is very interested to be a owner of one... Maybe it's really time to look around Oris more often
Actually.. i believe that the watchmaker Brudder Miker refer in Australia is hinting that he have better confidence on the movement specific, more than brand specifically. As we know, TISSOT is the world's biggest budget timepiece maker, thanks to SWATCH Group... hence TISSOT will eventually be mentioned.
And after sometime of exposure, we should know by now the 2 biggest boys in the watch making world who buys quality SWISS RAW Movement and plays the modification game, are the mid priced ORIS, and the ultra luxurious IWC. In between there other makers, but they don't have the kind of recognition received like the 2 mentioned. Hence, this gives a boost to ETA on trust of quality to their movements...
fireal

Post by fireal » 29 Jun 2013 13:08

Ed.YEO wrote: Seriously I haven't own one Oris yet.. But is very interested to be a owner of one... Maybe it's really time to look around Oris more often
Actually.. i believe that the watchmaker Brudder Miker refer in Australia is hinting that he have better confidence on the movement specific, more than brand specifically. As we know, TISSOT is the world's biggest budget timepiece maker, thanks to SWATCH Group... hence TISSOT will eventually be mentioned.
And after sometime of exposure, we should know by now the 2 biggest boys in the watch making world who buys quality SWISS RAW Movement and plays the modification game, are the mid priced ORIS, and the ultra luxurious IWC. In between there other makers, but they don't have the kind of recognition received like the 2 mentioned. Hence, this gives a boost to ETA on trust of quality to their movements...[/quote]

sure or not? got any sources?
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 29 Jun 2013 13:34

fireal wrote:
Ed.YEO wrote: Seriously I haven't own one Oris yet.. But is very interested to be a owner of one... Maybe it's really time to look around Oris more often.
Actually.. i believe that the watchmaker Brudder Miker refer in Australia is hinting that he have better confidence on the movement specific, more than brand specifically. As we know, TISSOT is the world's biggest budget timepiece maker, thanks to SWATCH Group... hence TISSOT will eventually be mentioned....
sure or not? got any sources?
Ooops... missing word and links... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
should be...
As we know, TISSOT is the world's biggest budget EUROPEAN timepiece maker,
and the links...
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/watch-m ... 04639.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/annual- ... 07424.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 29 Jun 2013 14:11

Think most of us don't know..only edyeo knows...but thanks for the info. .

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
fireal

Post by fireal » 29 Jun 2013 15:29

Ed.YEO wrote:
fireal wrote: sure or not? got any sources?
Ooops... missing word and links... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
should be...
As we know, TISSOT is the world's biggest budget EUROPEAN timepiece maker,
and the links...
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/watch-m ... 04639.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/annual- ... 07424.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice try but still wrong again. The swatch brand itself produces much more than tissot

Sent from my HTC One X+
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 17 Jul 2013 14:09

If the PR is really around 80 hours, then yeah i would love to get one.
I want to be a one watch guy!!
eguy899

Post by eguy899 » 21 Jul 2013 12:09

nay for the current crop of watches' design.