Steinhart movement

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
Den

Steinhart movement

Post by Den » 29 Jun 2013 13:02

Hi guys,

Excuse me if I do write something wrong here as I'm new here.

I just recently gotten the steinhart ocean black dlc from Steinhart directly.

The watch looks great except for the fact that I think the 2824-2 ETA movement used in it is spoiled!!

Every time I manual wind the watch, for every crown turn I make, I hear some abbreation noise.

Initially i thought that it was the crown rubbing against the crown guard, but after a closer inspection, I realized that it was the movement problem.

Correct me I'm wrong, this is not how it should sound.

I was wondering if anyone of you have encountered this problem.

Thanks guys!
Ed.YEO

Re: Steinhart movement

Post by Ed.YEO » 29 Jun 2013 13:43

It could be a problem with the movement. Send an email to ANNA of STEINHART to highlight the problem.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Den

Post by Den » 29 Jun 2013 14:02

Hi Ed, thx for the advice.

I just emailed her, awaiting for their reply.

I hope I dun have to send the watch to Germany and back.

Any chance I will be able to send gnomon?
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 29 Jun 2013 14:40

Becos ur piece is not bought from Gnomon, i dunno whether will they accept it and service on behalf to STEINHART Germany.
Most likely... will be no.

However, once you get a reply from ANNA, try to negotiate with her to see whether you can send it to a local watchmaker to service your piece. If they green light(provided your claim on the fault is descriptive and convincing), you may get refurbishment fund of 30eu from them to your paypal. Some folks had done that before...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Den

Post by Den » 29 Jun 2013 15:42

Thanks pal!

Since I'm gng to do up my fff at k2 now, I think I'll bring along the watch for Mr Goh's expert opinion.

Quite disappointed with steinhart now...arghh

So much for ETA movement
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 29 Jun 2013 15:54

Im not too sure if theres an actual issue but there should be some gear noises when winding the 2824-2 manually
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 29 Jun 2013 15:56

I can guarantee you gnomon WILL NOT service or repair on behalf of steinhart. They can only honor warranty for watches purchased from them.

That's the reason why I prefer to buy from local ad I dread of burning direct from steinhart. The hassle is something u want to avoid!

When u say ablation noise, can you describe further? Is it a squeaking noise? Or a winding noise? Does the rotor spin when you turn?
Den

Post by Den » 29 Jun 2013 16:44

Thanks pal!

Since I'm gng to do up my fff at k2 now, I think I'll bring along the watch for Mr Goh's expert opinion.

Quite disappointed with steinhart now...arghh

So much for ETA movement
Den

Post by Den » 29 Jun 2013 17:36

True true, but they didn't have the ocean black dlc at gnomon. It is a winding noise. It sounds something like this video I found on video tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnSkU3nPCg4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, I just came back from K2. Mr GOH was nice enough to check the watch without opening it. He said it was normal for ETA 2824 to have the noise when you manually wind the watch.

Still I'm quite puzzled, it is very different from my manual winding watches.

Trust his judgement?
Cosmograph

Post by Cosmograph » 29 Jun 2013 21:35

If you don't trust mr goh's judgment, bring out to someone else outside to check lah. No one here will tell you otherwise. The watch is yours, you decide what you want to do with it. People here are only enthusiasts, mr Goh is a professional so who are we to say otherwise for a timepiece that is not ours.
Enjoying Japanese, Swiss, Germans & Micros quartz or mechanical, solar/Eco or kinetic, electronic

Time is one's best friend or worst enemy. You can't stop her or contain her but you can use her or watch her go by!
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 29 Jun 2013 21:43

Den wrote:True true, but they didn't have the ocean black dlc at gnomon. It is a winding noise. It sounds something like this video I found on video tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnSkU3nPCg4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well, I just came back from K2. Mr GOH was nice enough to check the watch without opening it. He said it was normal for ETA 2824 to have the noise when you manually wind the watch.

Trust his judgement?
All my watch with eta 2824 ,makes a windg sound like as if stretchg smth if that,s what u mean. Def louder than seiko 4r or even 7750. 6497 just has a clickg sound, without that stretchy feelg. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Kramer

Post by Kramer » 29 Jun 2013 21:50

it's normal, 2824 have a sandy/gritty feeling when handwinding
Check my blog out here!
Den

Post by Den » 29 Jun 2013 21:52

Jeryltan wrote:
Den wrote:True true, but they didn't have the ocean black dlc at gnomon. It is a winding noise. It sounds something like this video I found on video tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnSkU3nPCg4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trust his judgement?
All my watch with eta 2824 ,makes a windg sound like as if stretchg smth if that,s what u mean. Def louder than seiko 4r or even 7750. 6497 just has a clickg sound, without that stretchy feelg. Lol

That's exactly the sounds I'm getting. Sounds like its normal. My friend apparently said his Swiss watches makes the same sound.

So I guess with all this info, I'm more assured now.

Thx guys

Cheers
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Valles

Post by Valles » 29 Jun 2013 22:46

The sound is normal. Both my steinhart running 2824-2 have that sound when winding and it feel very rough when winding.

End of the day... I dun wind my watches anymore. I rock a baby them daily :mrgreen:
Den

Post by Den » 30 Jun 2013 00:35

Great forum with great reply.

Thanks for the help guys. :)

Now I can wear my ocean without worries.

Cheers
fireal

Post by fireal » 30 Jun 2013 09:03

Glad it's all sorted out

Sent from my HTC One X+
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
rogue_hog

Post by rogue_hog » 30 Jun 2013 10:38

Trust his judgement?
Good that it's sorted out. But if the sound you mentioned is like the video and the rotor is moving as well when you wind, then something is wrong. Cos the rotor should not be turning or engaged when u wind.

But I'm not sure what you mean by the winding sound is different from your manual winding watches. cos to me both my manual winding watches and autos alike have winding sounds when I crank them.
roo7
IT Superman

Post by roo7 » 30 Jun 2013 11:24

Some movement have the sandy gritty feel, some will feel like you are winding up a wind up toy...

Either way it's ok. There's likely problem when you feel that there's something slipping inside, like missing teeth in a gear or something.
Not as active.
blog: https://jiehong.org/
Quasimodo

Post by Quasimodo » 30 Jun 2013 12:32

Indeed... I get worried if there's no sensation of anything engaging if I wind the crown... freespinning = problem.

But I thought Gnomon will repair if you offer to pay for the service fee. I can understand that they won't service for free but I think they will take care of your watch if you offer to pay. Makes sense, since they didn't have any business in how you received your watch.
I don't seem to have enough wrists. :)
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 30 Jun 2013 12:39

Gnomon will not repair ON BEHALF to STEINHART for sure.
But with a payment of nominal sum, may take the job any time considering it as individuals walk in service like JW or K2.