solvil et titus

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
demogoblin

solvil et titus

Post by demogoblin » 24 Oct 2014 23:51

Any bros here has experience with solvil et titus? Saw their new mechanical line today. Looks quite chio.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Ed.YEO

Re: solvil et titus

Post by Ed.YEO » 25 Oct 2014 00:33

Majority of the Sovil et TITUS mechanicals are using Mainland Chinese movements that are base on the engineering designs from ShangHai or Seagull, but not made by neither of the origins.

Except for the looks, the mechanical movements you see in SeT are mostly identical to those watches like Arbutus, Ingersoll, TITAN, as well as STURLING and ELYSEE.

If its me to hoot on these chinese makes, i would choose the brand from respectable distributor.
Arbutus is distributed by Crystal Time.
Sovil et Titus is distributed by City Chain.
TITAN and INGERSOLL is distributed by Chronosoft.
STURLING unknown, but 25hrs carries this brand.
ELYSEE by H2Hub.

Some of these Chinese movements with the same sub dial layout can also be found on some little numbers of models from ROTARY. However, i wouldn't think most of the folks would pay a significant amount for the Name/Brand.

Arbutus will be my top choice, considering that CRYSTAL TIME had been in the industry for a long time since COLOR CLUB in the 80s.
As for City Chain, even their own origin folks, the HongKongers are having lots of complains with CC after sales support quality...
INGERSOLL distribution-ship had went through several hands in the past. The current distributor dunno can hold how long.

In the end... it's up to you. But i must warn, Chinese movements are not easy to service if shit happens in the later days. To play safe, and worth while... it's best if you can go for other makers who provide better after sales service. Rather than be suck in by the affordable complications.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 25 Oct 2014 08:19

Wow thanks bro Ed. I will be careful. Cause my mother has a solvil et Titus bought in 60s or 70s and still ticking now but I am not sure of today's standards

herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 25 Oct 2014 08:49

Hi demo, I also have a SeT that my father bought for me 20 years ago. It was dive watch style and purchased new from city chain and it is also still ticking. The watch is Swiss made.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 25 Oct 2014 09:04

demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 25 Oct 2014 11:40

herzausstahl wrote:Image
Wow looks nice. Design quite similar to a Sumo.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 25 Oct 2014 11:43

Yah surprisingly durable. I wasn't so careful with watches back then, and this piece really lasted. The case is like skx007
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 25 Oct 2014 11:53

This brand had a marketing campaign in the 80s and 90s that left me with the impression that if you give the watch to your lover/gf then confirmed there will be a tragic breakup, lose everthing and alone forever.

For me that meant this brand was very 'suey'.
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 25 Oct 2014 12:25

I used to own a sovil et Titus Quartz dress watch back in the 90s... Durable and reliable actually..

Sent using carrier pigeons
I want to be a one watch guy!!
demogoblin

Post by demogoblin » 25 Oct 2014 15:11

Nowadays still lidat mah lol. But I must say their commercials are very nice.

herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 25 Oct 2014 15:44

Haha yah I remember also. Don't care forever, just care now. It's like watch flipping.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 25 Oct 2014 16:08

oncleoliver wrote:This brand had a marketing campaign in the 80s and 90s that left me with the impression that if you give the watch to your lover/gf then confirmed there will be a tragic breakup, lose everthing and alone forever.

In recent years... the SeT ads also very 凄惨 one... the "stories" hovers around end of life, or end of journey one...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 25 Oct 2014 16:13

Ed.YEO wrote:
oncleoliver wrote:This brand had a marketing campaign in the 80s and 90s that left me with the impression that if you give the watch to your lover/gf then confirmed there will be a tragic breakup, lose everthing and alone forever.

In recent years... the SeT ads also very 凄惨 one... the "stories" hovers around end of life, or end of journey one...
Their marketing people are very good... but obviously are not aware of what kind of wrong signals they are generating
You are not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

- Tyler Durden
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 25 Oct 2014 16:15

demogoblin wrote:Wow thanks bro Ed. I will be careful. Cause my mother has a solvil et Titus bought in 60s or 70s and still ticking now but I am not sure of today's standards...
Until the late 80s, SeT watches were mostly fitted with good quality Swiss engines. But the looks... designs were very generic European, kind of dull to most of us kids during that time when the Japs designs were much more hippy and captivating due to pop J-pop culture influence. Also due to quartz invasion, that eventually makes lots of European Watch company close up or being bought over by other finance/fashion groups ending less desirable qualities on the labels' later watch product releases.
During early 90s~late 90s, some SeTs were fitted with Jap movements... and mostly quartz.
Last edited by Ed.YEO on 25 Oct 2014 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 25 Oct 2014 16:18

oncleoliver wrote:
Ed.YEO wrote: In recent years... the SeT ads also very 凄惨 one... the "stories" hovers around end of life, or end of journey one...
Their marketing people are very good... but obviously are not aware of what kind of wrong signals they are generating
Maybe if the ads were to screen in European cinemas or home screens, it will b about "Emotions and Sentimentals", and "Treasure this Moments".
But here in Asia... What i see is about "You buy this piece... you up lorry soon, and the person you love will hold this piece to remember you..."
oncleoliver

Post by oncleoliver » 25 Oct 2014 16:19

Agree

Their marketing head must be foreign talent.

- Tyler Durden
fireal

Post by fireal » 22 Feb 2015 10:16

Solvil and Titus were both brands under Paul ditisheim the legendary watchmaker back in the day. The vintage ones are very collectible. After they merged and subsequently sold off to Chinese company then chui liao
Time is free, but it's priceless. You can't
own it, but you can use it. You can't keep
it, but you can spend it. Once you've lost it
you can never get it back.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 22 Feb 2015 10:41

Yeah now is more like fashion watch. But when I was browsing the Sovil chrono moonphase watches and tourbillon watches at city chain, the sales kept harping that this is a well respected "swiss" watch with long history and prestige blah blah..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 22 Feb 2015 13:27

HISTORY are made to be sold nowadays... quality comes... last.
Cloud7

Post by Cloud7 » 07 Nov 2015 09:33

have a Sovil et Titus that's at least 25 years old, swiss quartz with a gigantic moonphase in gold... a really big moon, not the teeny little dots nowadays... still working! :)