Review: Sinn 857 UTC

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
kqxrseiko

Review: Sinn 857 UTC

Post by kqxrseiko » 24 Dec 2011 15:59

A couple of weeks back, with the intention of acquiring a GMT watch for work travel and holidaying, I began researching GMT watches that would fulfil the criteria of being both hard-wearing and reliable. Fast forward to day and I have in my hands a Sinn 857 UTC that I have been wearing for for three consecutive days now.

Below are my thoughts on the Sinn 857 UTC after being 'welded' to it for the past three days.

Dial: While Sinn 857 UTC doesn't have the cleanest dial around, it is extremely legible due to its large numerals and bold hash markers. Reading off a second time zone is made easy by the distinct yellow UTC hand.

Case & Bracelet: Both the case and bracelet are made of tegimented steel that has been hardened to 1200 vickers. As a result of the hardening process, both the case and bracelet are a warm looking matte grey colour that closely resembles titanium. This includes the signed screw down crown and clasp too!

The "cool" stuff: To prevent the bi-directional bezel of the 857 UTC breaking off due to impact, Sinn has secured the bezel using 4 additional screws. The case also houses a copper sulphate capsule which reacts with moisture to diffuse and absorb humidity within the watch. The saturation of the capsule can be monitored through a porthole in the lower left lug, and over time will turn a deep blue as its saturation point is neared.

I would highly recommend the Sinn 857 UTC to anyone looking for a durable GMT watch that they could wear unconspicuously abroad. The 857 UTC is a prime example of German metallugical advancements (case was made by Glashutte case making legend Sächsische Uhrentechnologie GmbH Glashütte) and is likely to survive any extreme forces thrown at it. Oh, and in case you were wondering, the 857 UTC is powered by the reliable ETA 2893 and is depth worthy to 200m too!

Thank you for reading!
zeikphur

Re: Review: Sinn 857 UTC

Post by zeikphur » 09 Jan 2012 11:04

That's a nice watch bro, I have one on leather strap. Keeps very good timing :)