Review: Seiko H601-0010 (Anadigi)

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
johnwongtw

Review: Seiko H601-0010 (Anadigi)

Post by johnwongtw » 03 Jan 2012 22:15

Hello everyone, I was searching through the web for a review for my newly aquired Seiko H601-0010 Analog/digital(Anadigi) watch and realised that there wasnt one written. So I thought I would write my own review of this nice watch.

I understand that this watch is a variation of the Seiko Arnie H558-5000, the H558 was Seiko's first ana-digi 150m diver. The difference between both models is the digital display on the H601 can be found on the bottom of the dial instead of the top. The H601 may be touted as the dress version of the H558 which comes in a black shroud. The H558 was produced in around 1982/83, so the H601 might have been produced in the late 80s to the early 90s. This piece I own shows that it was produced in 1991, November and runs on battery powered quartz, hacking movement,

So lets start with the asthetics;

Approximate size
• 45mm lug to lug
• 40mm across not inclusive of crown/ pushers
• 43mm across with the crown included(add another 2mm for the pushers)
• 20mm lug size(width)

Weight
Unfortnately I do not have a digital weighing scale so I am unable to determine what it really weighs. However it feels slightly heavier than the vintage Seiko 7Axx series watches and is about 3/4 the weight of a Seiko Monster watch.

It has a bidirectional bezel, however when rotated it gives a muted click sound. The sound is definitely nowhere near the Seiko divers(the click sound is poor even when compared to vintage 7002 diver which I own)

The bezel and case is of a brushed finish, there are no polished pieces to this watch. The finishing of the sides is nice, it cuts downwards a third of the way initially, then tapers inwards. Pushers may be located outside the 8 and 10 O'clock markers and there is an unsigned screw down crown. I was particularly suprised that this piece came with a screw down crown, which leads me to think that Seiko came up with this watch possibly for people to swim with it. Due to the presence of the pushers I wouldnt go as far to say that people would dive with this watch. Certainly I wouldnt swim in this watch given its age and pre-owned condition.

The bracelet is made of stainless steel, again this is a brushed finish and no polished parts. The bracelet uses a mixed pattern, with the center bits that looks like conjoined twin rice beads. Bracelet links uses standard 'Push-out pins' and there is a signed clasp with no micro adjustment holes. When held by the watch head and given gentle jiggle, the bracelet rattles and produces the sound of a rattle snake. The bracelet is flexible similar to a jubilee bracelet but it is one noisy bracelet. On wrist it feels comfortable.

Pusher at 10 O'clock operate the light for the digital display, Pusher at 8 O'clock changes the mode from date display to time display to chronograph, alarm and time/date setting. Interesting fact is that the digital time is completely independent of the analog time. I prefer to set them to the same time and had to synchronise both the analog and digital time when I first got the watch. However, I suppose that this would be useful if you were travellling to a different time zone and prefered to keep 1 of the time as the local timezone.

The alarm on this watch still works and I was impressed with its surprisingly loud, high pitched 'ding dong' sound.

On to the dial;

The dial is dark grey(almost like a lighter shade of black) in color, has in-laid markers on the border of the dial for the second hands, chrome bordered 5 minute markers from 8 to 4 O'clock. These 5 minute markers still glow in the dark, however is nowhere near my Seiko Monster/Sumo divers in terms of luminesence. Chrome "Seiko" below the 12 O'clock marker and 'Quartz' right below the brand. Above the 6 O'clock markers and the digital display it sports the chrome alphabeths 'SQ', and Sports 150 right below it. Below the digital display states the words 'Alarm Chronograph' and 'Japan made' diashock logo and '0010'. The chapter ring is also marked at every 5 minute intervals.

This watch has chrome bordered hands but the second hand is of a matt silver finish. This is rather unfortunate as it makes the second hands look aftermarket, personally I would have preferred a second hand with matching chrome finishing. There is a luminous triangle just before the tip of the second hand.

And that basically describes the whole look of the watch. Below are some pictures take from my iPhone, I wished I had a better camera and more importantly, better camera skills. Hope you enjoyed the pictures and this review.

Thanks for reading!

A frontal shot of the dial,

The light from the digital display.

Here is a picture of the side of the watch to give you an idea of the finishing.

Here is a wrist shot.

Lastly, I would put it between my Seiko 7A28 and my Seiko Sumo to give you a sense of how the watch measures in terms of size and the lume.
lunarin79
CEO

Re: Review: Seiko H601-0010 (Anadigi)

Post by lunarin79 » 08 Jan 2012 22:17

Very detailed review bro, thks for ur effort!
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
funky_banana

Post by funky_banana » 09 Jan 2012 10:34

wow! nice pics and awesome write up!
now that tempted me to get one too... hmmmmmmmm
johnwongtw

Post by johnwongtw » 10 Jan 2012 10:32

funky_banana wrote:wow! nice pics and awesome write up!
now that tempted me to get one too... hmmmmmmmm
This model quite hard to find nowadays, will let you know if I see one :D
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 10 Jan 2012 10:33

johnwongtw wrote:This model quite hard to find nowadays, will let you know if I see one :D
just flip to banana lor, easy :twisted:
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
johnwongtw

Post by johnwongtw » 10 Jan 2012 10:36

lunarin79 wrote:
johnwongtw wrote:This model quite hard to find nowadays, will let you know if I see one :D
just flip to banana lor, easy :twisted:

:lol: all in good time bro! It will be in the buy/sell section when the time comes :D