Grand Seiko 1963 (2nd Generation) Review

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
Oppozit

Grand Seiko 1963 (2nd Generation) Review

Post by Oppozit » 24 Oct 2013 02:57

Dear Friends,
Let me share a story with you which I believe shall captivate Grand Seiko genuine admirers in particular.
So that you understand, I am from Moscow, Russia. In 1963 – 1964 my grandfather went to Tokyo, Japan as a member of Soviet delegation. I do not remember exactly what was the occasion, either it was the opening ceremony for Japan Technological Fair or 1964 Olympic Games, but the fact was my grandfather purchased the Grand Seiko watch (Second generation) with date window which was meant for Japanese domestic market solely. The watch itself is very rare. Within 1963-1966 period only 85000 pieces of this watch were manufactured and sold. I still can’t wrap my head around why he made up his mind to buy it in Japan since the so called “Iron Curtain” would deprive him of any possibility to repair this piece once he was back to the USSR. It was really a very strange decision. But as I know today – there were no spare parts needed for that watch at all.

The watch has been worn generously by my grandfather, then inherited by my dad and finally I owned it when I became a student.
With hindsight, I realize I had no idea what a piece of watch it was. Unfortunately. I mistook it for vanilla Seiko watch you can buy for $30 in the street supermarket. I abused the watch, used it heavily and extremely – I wore it when did hiking in the country side, the watch remained on my arm wrist when I went swimming, not to mention multiple drops which in the end led to steel bracelet and face glass breakage, loss of the Lion Medallion at the case back and damage of the dial plate. In a nutshell, the watch looked a hopeless wreck marked with numerous scars, so it was natural that soon I forgot about the watch.
I don’t know how – may be thanks to my habitual miserliness – but instead of dumping the watch I “mothballed” it, put it in a box and this box travelled with me and my belongings from one apartment to another, from one place to another, even my wife had no guts to get rid of the watch.
From time to time I come across an article on Grand Seiko watch. When it hit home to me that my grandfather’s watch is a rare unique piece, I decided to restore it through repairing thus commemorating 50-year anniversary of this watch series and a century anniversary of SEIKO brand, both due in 2013.
My decision was a real challenge since it was next to impossible to find authentic spare parts for this watch in Russia and across the globe because, as I mentioned earlier, the watch was meant for domestic market only. When I addressed official Seiko Service provider here in Moscow I have received straight No for watch repair despite me offering them lavish payment. Lack of spares and service experience was the reason.
Besides, Gold Lion Medallion, lost by then, is itself a rare thing which made me give up my hopes to locate it elsewhere. The only solution I could think of was purchasing the same watch, removing the medallion and placing it on my watch. The same story with the crown. Finally, I decided to turn my attention to Germany, a country famous for its watchmaker services, developed technology and well known marketplace for used watches. In Germany I was lucky to find a watchmaker who could restore the dial plates and for me that meant solving several issues in one move, or “killing 2 rabbits with one shot” as we say in Russia.
My biggest challenge was lost Gold Lion medallion as well as some other accessories. The original packaging of the watch provided me with the Certificate of Accuracy, so I attempted to find the original box, original strap, original manual book and the mentioned medallion. But all attempts were in vain.
I was very much determined to find a solution and after a series of attempts to find the necessary parts on e-Bay, I switched my focus on Japanese online auctions. Imagine what problem I then encountered! I do not speak Japanese. Come to think of it, I could try some learning programs and the idea appealed to me, though the road to success could be a bumpy ride. Instead, I decided to contact an English speaking agent in Japan and finally I found an English speaking French company (hahaha) which deals with Japanese auctions. Long story short, this company helped me to find and order the original box, owner’s manual, GS strap, GS buckle, and the Gold Lion medallion (as replacement part) from the Japanese auction.
After all parts were installed and assembled with the repaired dial plate, the old spring has been replaced with a new original one and voila! I am the owner of a beautiful, attention-grabbing, rare and unique watch in pristine condition. The movement accuracy is -6 seconds a day (24 hours) which I think is a fantastic result for the watch with such a history.
My German watchmaker was fascinated with the watch quality and its condition. All these make me full of pride and respect for Grand Seiko brand and Japanese handmade quality.
It took me 4,5 months to breathe life into unique 1963GS watch that granted me with a touch of history and a long list of bills yet to be paid (LOL)
P.S.: © All rights reserved. For the use or distribution of this article and photos (in full and in part) please contact the author.

KKFA

Re: Grand Seiko 1963 (2nd Generation) Review

Post by KKFA » 24 Oct 2013 16:14

Wow thanks for sharing your story. The restored piece certainly looks great. Congratulations on being able to retore this heirloom piece to its glory. Wear it in good health.
Cheers.
Seamonster

Post by Seamonster » 14 Nov 2013 19:32

Thanks for sharing!
big-e-294

Post by big-e-294 » 21 Nov 2013 15:29

Woah!!!
Thanks for sharing.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading that!!!
What a beautiful restored piece.... And with so much sentimental attachment.

Sent from The Force
xxccxx

Post by xxccxx » 07 Dec 2013 17:07

I am moved to tears...

Be sure to educate the next person who will be receiving this heirloom, and keep the tradition going!

Post by 004 » 02 Mar 2014 19:23

A incredible story & such a beautiful GS, thank you for sharing it.
Andoy

Post by Andoy » 02 Mar 2014 23:52

Thanks for sharing your story with us and welcome on board the SCS! :mrgreen:

Cheers!
brillantblend

Post by brillantblend » 03 Aug 2014 12:52

This is a heartfelt story, I am touched for your determination to restore such an old watch. It is certainly not easy if it's were me, considering that you took this for swimming, face glass beak age, loss of the Lion Medallion at the case back and damage of the dial plate. I am sure your grand father will be proud of you to treasure such a memorable heirloom.
leonmike

Post by leonmike » 04 Aug 2014 09:12

At long last, I managed to see the "CHRONOMETER" wording on a Japanese timepiece.
This is what I call a "GENERATION TIMEPIECE".
_m0r0n_

Post by _m0r0n_ » 12 Nov 2014 01:24

Very beautiful & classic watch it is..