Grand Seiko SBGA111 Review

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
TimelessLuxWatches

Post by TimelessLuxWatches » 31 Dec 2014 04:02

It seems like every year there's a surprisingly good deal to be had from a Grand Seiko limited edition spring drive. Last year it was the SBGA095, with its stunning brown dial, but this year that spot is clearly taken by the SBGA111. Interestingly, it's nearly a carbon copy of another watch I've reviewed, the also limited edition SBGA109, except with a few small changes--it's steel, it has a 3 link bracelet instead of a 5 link, a 9R65 instead of a 9R15, and most importantly, it's much more affordable.

The Introduction

The SBGA111 is part of a pair of watches, along with the SBGA109 (see our review of that watch here: http://timelessluxwatches.com/reviews/g ... ake-review" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), that honor the spring drive. Specifically, 2014 is the 10th year of the first Grand Seiko spring drive, the 9R. Naturally, both of these watches include a spring drive movement, but perhaps more interestingly, they have different versions of it--the more expensive SBGA109 has the 9R15 "super" spring drive, with a unique rotor and improved accuracy, whereas the SBGA109 has the 9R65 spring drive you'd find in the Snowflake, for instance.

There are some other differences between this and the SBGA109 as well. The SBGA109 is made of titanium, and is therefore much lighter, than the stainless 111. This can be a pro or a con depending on how you look at it--some people, namely myself, prefer a little weight on their wrist, and I appreciate the scratch resistance of steel. Other people like the darker color of titanium and enjoy the fact that it can disappear on your wrist because it's so light. The bracelets are different as well, with the 111 using the sportier all-brushed 3 link as opposed to the more conventional alternating polished 5 link on the 109. It's ever so slightly smaller as well, at 40.5mm as opposed to 41mm although that would be very difficult to perceive. Furthermore, it has a stainless case back instead of sapphire. Finally, it's much more affordable, at $5000, compared to the $7000 of the SBGA109. That's a massive $2000 price difference and makes the SBGA111 the best value of 2014's lineup.

The Face

Some have mistakenly, although understandably, thought the SBGA111's dial is simply identical to that of the SBGA109. Actually, it does have at least one important difference, that being Arabic numerals around the perimeter of the dial (the SBGA109 had no numerals). Otherwise, it is virtually identical. It has the same "tatami mat" (http://www.tatami.ca/include/images/Tat ... outs-3.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) texture as the 109, a very impressive effort by Grand Seiko. It also shares the blued seconds hand and, in an unusual move, the blued power reserve hand.

Here's a closer look at that unbelievably well finished power reserve complication. You can see two contrasting textures inside of it--it's actually probably one of the most impressive parts of a Grand Seiko spring drive, particularly on a textured dial like this. Aside from the blued seconds hand and a slightly different shade of white it's very similar to the Snowflake.

The hands appear to be identical to the SBGA109. That's pretty much standard fare for Grand Seiko, which is a good thing because hand design has always been one of the company's strengths. Mirror polished and beveled dauphine hands are large and easy to read, easily distinguished from the simple blued seconds hand. They appear black in these photos but that's because they're actually reflecting my camera.

Dial work is another one of Grand Seiko's many strengths and this is about as good as it gets. The textured dial is absolutely gorgeous, and upon close inspection, you can see "hidden" GS logos. More interestingly, there is a single lion at 2:00. It's actually referencing the 10 minute mark, as this is the 10 year anniversary model of the 9R spring drive.

The hour markers appear to be identical to the SBGA109--a little less angular than the typical GS spring drive models, like the Snowflake. While they're still beautiful, I think I enjoy the trapezoid of most spring drive GSes as opposed to the bifurcated ones here. They give it a slightly sportier look.

The date is the same super legible iteration you'd find on any other white dialed spring drive Grand Seiko. The numerals are surprisingly large and bold. As always, I appreciate the use of a frame which keeps it from looking like a cheap, unplanned cut out of the dial.

The same engraving is found inside as the SBGA109, very subtly marking the 10th anniversary of the legendary 9R.

As is always the case with Grand Seikos, the SBGA111 is a huge success. It's astonishing that you can get dial work of this quality, with a spring drive movement, for less money than many of the automatic models.

The Case

The case is one of the more significant departures from the SBGA109. I've already mentioned several factors that distinguish it from its more expensive brother, but here's one that's very subtle: the actual case shape is slightly different. Namely, the lugs have sharper angles at their end--they remind me a bit of the blade of a tanto.

There are several more differences, the most important being that it's made of steel as opposed to titanium. As I mentioned above, I actually prefer steel to titanium. I don't mind the weight, and I like the brighter metal, but my favorite thing about steel is that it's more scratch resistant than titanium. That said, Grand Seiko uses an in house alloy of titanium called "Bright Titanium" which appears more steel-like and is more scratch resistant.

Perhaps the most significant difference, however, is the use of a solid case back as opposed to the 109's sapphire back. This is in line with last year's super deal, the SBGA095 and probably the most polarizing element of the watch, at least when compared with the 109.

While the case back looks great, with the traditional GS medallion, I do wish we could see the beautiful 9R65 movement. Still, is a sapphire back worth a $2000 price increase? Something to think about.

The signed crown screws down for a 100 meter rating, so this watch is reasonably water friendly.

One thing I don't mention often enough about Grand Seiko is their common use of drilled lugs. Drilled lugs make taking the bracelet or strap off much easier.

Finally, the SBGA111 is slightly smaller than the SBGA109 at 40.5mm as opposed to 41mm. This is about the perfect size for it in my opinion, and at least for me, a little closer to my ideal than the 41mm SBGA109.

The Bracelet

The bracelet is the more muscular 3 link design, generally used on sportier Grand Seikos. I wouldn't call the SBGA111 a member of the sportier side of the brand, but the bracelet does look good on it. Except for the sides of the links, it's fully brushed, so it's quite a bit more subtle than the 5 piece on the SBGA109. Despite its simplicity, it actually has an improvement over the SBGA109's titanium bracelet.

Namely, the SBGA111's bracelet has screws instead of the friction pins that are universally used in titanium bracelets by Grand Seiko. This makes adjusting the bracelet on your own easier.

As usual, a simple but beautifully finished clasp is utilized. Its length allows it to lay relatively flat against your wrist.

Stylistically, I think the 5 link is probably a slightly better fit for the watch, but on the other hand, the SBGA111 is slightly sportier thanks to the numerals around the dial. Another advantage is that this bracelet will be much easier to touch up after you've banged it around a little.

The Movement

Shown here is the back of a Snowflake, as you'll recall that the SBGA111 has no display back. However, the movement in the SBGA111 is identical to the 9R65 shown here. You can see why you'd want a display back on this watch.

Here's a side by side of the 9R65 that's present in this SBGA111 (again, on the back of a Snowflake) and the 9R15 which is used in the SBGA109, which does have a display back. Visually, the movements are identical with the important exception of the unique rotor and its beautiful gold medallion. The only meaningful difference between the 9R65 in the SBGA111 and the 9R15 in the SBGA109 is that the SBGA109 is rated for just 10 seconds a month as opposed to 15 seconds a month in the 9R65. While it's cool to have an increased accuracy, any spring drive is so accurate that it's almost irrelevant. Most owners of the 9R65 report under 5 seconds a month, which is actually superior to most quartz watches. Especially given that you can't see the special rotor in the 111, I actually don't really care that it has the "ordinary" spring drive movement.

A brief description of the spring drive is in order as this is the 10th anniversary of the 9R spring drive. Basically, a spring drive is an ordinary high-end mechanical movement but with a crucial component replaced. The escapement is the functional unit of the watch that is tasked with keeping time--all other components of the movement are either subservient to the escapement or controlled by it--it is therefore the single most important part of a movement. The 9R65 spring drive has all of your ordinary mechanical watch components, like an automatic winding mechanism, a mainspring and a gear train. However, in place of the escapement is the tri-synchro regulator, a piece of which is shown in this photo, the glide wheel.

The tri-synchro regulator (TSR) is a revolutionary mechanism that completely changes the way the movement keeps time. It basically regulates three different forms of energy: mechanical or kinetic energy, the same kind you get from any mechanical watch, electrical and electromagnetic. While the spring drive has no batteries or electrical storage devices whatsoever, the TSR functions as an electrical generator. The electricity there powers an electromagnet which can "grab" a permanent magnet on the glide wheel and slow it down in accordance with a quartz crystal. This has several important consequences. First, and most importantly, is that the spring drive has quartz-like accuracy. Because of the extremely high quality components used (hand selected quartz crystals) they ordinarily exceed even quality quartz watches. Second, because the glide wheel constantly rotates in a single direction, as opposed to the back and forth of a balance wheel, there is no rapid locking and unlocking of the mechanism--therefore, there is no "tick tock" sound. It's perfectly silent, which has caused Seiko to refer to the spring drive as "the quiet revolution." Finally, and this is a crowd favorite, that same feature allows the seconds hand to be perfectly smooth. Even high frequency movements, like Seiko's own 9S85, only better create the illusion of smoothness. The spring drive has no illusion--it is just genuinely smooth.

Suffice it to say the SBGA111 will be one of the most accurate watches you own, even including quartz watches. Really the only internally regulated (as opposed to radio or GPS synced, like the Astron) watches that can outperform it are thermoregulated quartzes like Grand Seiko's own 9F. Again, to clear up any possible confusion, the photos of the movement are from the Snowflake, which has a display back--this watch has a solid case back.

The Conclusion

The SBGA111 is a very impressive watch, not just in the ordinary sense of Grand Seiko, with regard to dials and movements, but also as a value proposition as well.

The dial work is borderline identical to the much more expensive, about 40% more expensive, SBGA109. It keeps the amazing textured dial with subtle GS logos and symbolic lion at 2:00 but adds Arabic minute markers around the perimeter. More importantly, there is no loss in quality or intricacy on this lower priced model. Even under magnification it has exactly the same impressive character as its titanium counterpart.

It's just a hair smaller than the SBGA109 as well, which is actually a size difference I welcome, although it's not noticeable in reality. I also prefer stainless steel to titanium--I don't mind a little weight and I appreciate the brightness and scratch resistance of steel.

As per bracelets, I would actually lean slightly in favor of the SBGA109's--I just think the 5 link works better with the dressy character of this watch. On the other hand, you do pick up screw-in links with this model, as opposed to friction pins in the titanium, making it much easier to adjust the bracelet yourself.

By far the most polarizing element in choosing between the SBGA109 and this SBGA111, however, is the solid case back on the 111. There are certainly plenty of Grand Seiko fans that like solid case backs, the incredible success of the SBGE001 and the SBGA029 is proof of that. Personally, however, I want to see the beautiful 9R65 inside. Even if you agree with me, the real question becomes whether you're willing to pay an extra $2000 to get it--not an insubstantial sum.

Ultimately, the SBGA111 is by far the best value in a GS limited edition to come out this year. This complex dial work is usually saved for substantially more expensive models, like the Snowflake, but here you can get it for the price of an entry level spring drive. Sure, you'll give up a display case back on the way, but there's no cost cutting here, no drop in quality, compared to the more expensive models. So the SBGA111 is a tantalizing way to get into Grand Seiko or to add an LE to your collection without spending $7000 or more to get there. You can add something truly special to your collection, even if you already have a GS, at a price below many regular production spring drives--and that's pretty remarkable.

The Video

Because of the SBGA111's rarity you might not get to see one before they're all sold. This video is the next best thing to seeing it in person: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huazpyK ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .