Review: Seiko SBDC003 aka "Blumo".

Post up your articles and reviews for future references
telepgm

Review: Seiko SBDC003 aka "Blumo".

Post by telepgm » 14 Nov 2016 10:00

This watch, just like Michael Jackson, needs not further introduction. It’s one of the evergreen Japan Domestic Model (JDM) Dive Watches by Seiko. She is extremely popular in Singapore and all around the world, and many reviews are available online.

I will do my very best to give an objective point of view on this handsome blue diver watch and I hope you find my comments fair. I have removed the stainless steel bracelet of the Blumo, and replaced a grey leather bund strap by Strapcode.com in this review.

What I like about this watch (Part 1):

JDM: The stigma of “Made in Japan” watches are of higher in quality (compared to watches assembled in other Asian countries) and better in resale value is common amongst watch lovers. I agree with neither. Some other non-Made in Japan Seiko watches’ construction are as good than the JDM ones, and the resale values (depreciations) of both variants are about the same.

What JDM does for me is a “feel-good factor” and a piece of mind. I am wearing a Japanese Branded watch, made in Japan. Shiok (Singapore Slang for feeling very satisfied). That’s all.

Construction of the Blumo: Rock Solid. No less than any European made divers of the same price range. Hefty on the wrist, but not uncomfortably heavy.

What I like about this watch (Part 2):

The dial: We have seen plenty of Silver / Black Dial Dive Watches in the circuit. While Blue Dial divers are not uncommon, Blumo’s dial stands out somehow. Blumo’s blue is somehow more calming, more subtle and quieter. Staring the dial for 60 seconds can really cool off your head, after a heated argument. I have tried it, it actually works.

The indicators: The 11 applied indicators (11 because of the date window at 3 O’Clock) makes the blumo a “happy watch”. I literally feel happy looking at those round chubby indicators. While one can ask “indicators on other subs are also round, do those watches make you happy too?”. Personally, the Blumo has this charm and humor that I appreciate that I can’t find in other watches.

What I like about the watch (Part 4):

Caliber 6R15: One of the finest Calibre that Seiko has ever produced. Accurate and Reliable, it’s one of the closest movements to the 9S series in their Grand Seiko collection.

Triple Signed Features: For folks who have been following my reviews, would certainly learn that I am sucker for Triple Signed Features. The Bracelet (no photos in this review), Caseback and Crown all signed. Attention to details: CHECK!

What I like about the watch (Part 5):

Wordings on the dial: Two words. 1ST: “Automatic” in super-sexy cursiv fonts. 2nd: Scuba in mechanical futuristic fonts. It sounds like a weird combination now that I have describe it that way, but somehow the two words with different font types just blends.

The “Prospex” branding is in most of Seiko’s Dive Watches offering, including the current model of Blumo SBDC033. While Prospex suggest high-end timepieces from Seiko, but I personally feel that the X logo with the “Prospect” word is losing its prestige and meaning. Every Seiko dive watch is correlated with Prospex?

A little like Omega’s Seamaster. Can you imagine, on top of Planet Ocean, James Bond Seamaster, there was once a Greek International Football Team themed Seamaster? No kidding.

So the Classic Blumo without “Prospex” and the “X” retains sort of an “Old World Charm”. The first and original Blumo, just the way I like it.

What I thought the watch can improve:

It’s a common complaint and concern. The space between the spring bar and the lugs. This has caused strap-changing-fans some distress and disappointment. The space is simply unsightly when a generic leather strap is being fitted on.

Some folks would spend hundreds of dollars to custom make a leather strap, some would choose Nato, some would simply wear the Blumo with the existing Stainless Steel Bracelet.

I choose to use a bund. The bund not only manages to cover the unsightly space, but it also beefs up the size of the Blumo, making her look even bigger and more macho.

Problem solved.

Conclusion: The Blumo is a handsome Japanese Diver with a unique nickname, a reliable caliber, built like a tank and very respectable in the watch circuit. It’s one of those Asian heros who is able to stand proud in the international arena. Best of all, it’s all yours for a fraction of what you will pay for an Original Submariner.

The Classic Blumo is still available in Japanese websites and some stores in Singapore which carries old stock. Rumours has it that it may or it has already stopped production, due to the introduction of the SBDC033. I am just thankful to own the Classic Blumo before it extincts.

Acknowledgement and thanks: The Dog painting is a masterpiece by Ms. Isabella Yang, 9 years old. I will be using some of her paintings as backdrop for my future reviews. Do stay tune for those.

Bund Strap: I bought the grey military leather bund from Strapcode.com. I like it as the colour is very versatile; it matches very nicely with dark dial watches. The length is perfect for ladies as well. I got it affordably during their Thanksgiving sale. Although not affiliated to them, I highly recommend their straps dude to the variety and quality.

Lastly, the strap is nourished and conditioned by Strap Shine by Dicon. To learn more about this leather care balm created exclusively for watch straps, please write to us at hello@jaspe.com.sg.

Thank you for spending time reading this review. Enjoy the rest of the photos and see you next week. Until then, do remember to be kind to one another. Cheers.
Strap Shine by Dicon: Leather Care for Watch Straps. Nourishes | Waterproofs | Cleans
http://www.leather-care.sg/product/stra ... -by-dicon/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Contact: hello@jaspe.com.sg
cirdec

Re: Review: Seiko SBDC003 aka "Blumo".

Post by cirdec » 14 Nov 2016 12:29

Totally agree on the spacing between the case and the spring bars. If you use a thin strap, there is this awkward space.

The "Pepsi" modded blumo adds character to the already iconic blumo.

This is a fine watch to have (w or w/o the mod) if you are an avid seiko collector.

There are also other variant of the sumo that is equally enjoyable to own.

Great review and pictures.
Trident

Post by Trident » 15 Nov 2016 08:09

Nice review. Yet to have this in my collection.
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 15 Nov 2016 09:24

Nice review, really like the Blumo with the Pepsi bezel.
fallacyfrog

Post by fallacyfrog » 15 Nov 2016 21:34

Nice review. Heard some of them use curved spring bars to solve the lug space problem.