[DIGITALs]- [SUUNTO]- What's the hidden charm? Lets share...

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 24 Jan 2012 22:23

I know majority of the brudders here owned a piece or 2 G-shocks.
Be it the multi-function features, the ruggedness built, the low budget price tag as well as "no problem" thoughts that comes in mind when you're going to reservist without fears of damage or loss as the G's are really good buys.
I had the same impression as well... but i don't own any as i'm stick more to classic, analogue needle on dial type of guy.

Just before CNY, i visited one of my favorite shop in Bencoolen, where the staffs are often busy serving customers who are buying more G's than SEIKOs. I'm quite surprised to see a malaysian(judging from his slightly off track mandarin accent) collector 1 time ask for few models of the SUUNTO watches to molest, in the end sapu 2 in 1 shot.

Isn't G's more popular and better? To me, SUUNTO is like the high-end of digitals, but still subjected to wear and tear.
What's the hidden charm?

By the way... i found that the SUUNTO watches are not totally manufactured in EUROPE wor...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 24 Jan 2012 23:06

Not really into suunto yet, heard abt them but didn't really check them up.

I m writing here base on my opinion and might change after read up on them.

To me, suunto and polar are like a mini computer on ur wrist that capture ur heart rates as well as provide other readings like gps, altitude ...etc on a glance, with a big screen.

So, I guess these are the differences.

Okay, I m going to read up lor....
:)
Ed.YEO

Re: [DIGITALs]- [SUUNTO]- What's the hidden charm? Lets shar

Post by Ed.YEO » 24 Jan 2012 23:13

I just came from WUS reading some of the threads about SUUNTO watches.
It's interesting to see some potential buyers are excited about a few recent release that have heart reader incorporated.

I thought most of these features can be found in G's?
I know that the heart reader thingy is oredi exist in most of POLAR watches for long time liaoz.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
madabt

Post by madabt » 25 Jan 2012 00:01

the hidden charm? from my frog in the well point of view, its the exclusivity.
almost every tom, dick and harry in the outdoor industry is wearing a casio or timex. buy a suunto and be unique lor. the higher cost of a suunto is a barrier to entry and help maintains exclusivity.
although i've read that the suunto is more accurate.
lunarin79
CEO

Post by lunarin79 » 25 Jan 2012 08:52

in terms of an accurate ABC watch, i tink Suunto is watch for it

i heard from my frens de
Seiko Club Gathering 2016
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 25 Jan 2012 09:54

Sunnto digital watches is much more accurate in readings than normal G or even those protrek.... but then the price barrier is one thing that is stopping me.... :oops: :oops: another thing.... I have to be upfront.... the screen is too big for my liking.

Still all the greek things in it do charm me.... but I'm no greek! :mrgreen:
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 25 Jan 2012 09:59

lunarin79 wrote:in terms of an accurate ABC watch, i tink Suunto is watch for it

i heard from my frens de
watchlooker wrote:Sunnto digital watches is much more accurate in readings than normal G or even those protrek.... but then the price barrier is one thing that is stopping me.... :oops: :oops: another thing.... I have to be upfront.... the screen is too big for my liking.

So... does that means that majority of the Casio's ABC gives aga aga readings?
By the way... the short form ABC means? Altimeter+Barometer+Computing?
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 25 Jan 2012 11:21

C = Compass
watchlooker

Post by watchlooker » 25 Jan 2012 11:39

Ed.YEO wrote:
lunarin79 wrote:in terms of an accurate ABC watch, i tink Suunto is watch for it

i heard from my frens de
watchlooker wrote:Sunnto digital watches is much more accurate in readings than normal G or even those protrek.... but then the price barrier is one thing that is stopping me.... :oops: :oops: another thing.... I have to be upfront.... the screen is too big for my liking.

It is not aga aga readings.... how to put it :?: :?: For example, barometer readings for casio +/-0.1 inHg and for sunnto +/-0.09 inHg. Not to be confuse with real time application, just an example nia.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 25 Jan 2012 15:50

watchlooker wrote:
Ed.YEO wrote:

It is not aga aga readings.... how to put it :?: :?: For example, barometer readings for casio +/-0.1 inHg and for sunnto +/-0.09 inHg. Not to be confuse with real time application, just an example nia.
suuntos are more precise :mrgreen:
phantom150

Post by phantom150 » 26 Jan 2012 00:22

Cash converters seems to be selling either NOS or seemingly very mint used sets at some branches!!
Looking for m/c ebc brake pads and k&n air filter, PM me.
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 26 Jan 2012 00:35

phantom150 wrote:Cash converters seems to be selling either NOS or seemingly very mint used sets at some branches!!
Hopefully those are not the "Cores" watches that are M.I.C which are reported to have numerous issues as reported in WUS.
jeremy_kokwk

Post by jeremy_kokwk » 26 Jan 2012 14:45

which are the more popular models?
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 26 Jan 2012 21:01

jeremy_kokwk wrote:which are the more popular models?
SKX007/009/011, Sumo, Samurai, MM300, Tunas.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding bro, there might just be some closet Suunto fan/expert here.
chromehead

Post by chromehead » 31 Jan 2012 12:56

jeremy_kokwk wrote:which are the more popular models?
for their ABC i think Vector quite popular and VFM, Core is more ex but have newer sensor i think

in general suunto abc should be more precise than casio abc, also they specialize in making compass one
u can compare the allowed +/- variations for comp/baro/alti readings in their specs

saw the someone use the Vector mil version, can do compass readings in mils.

but local suunto price like quite rape sia... like 500+ for vector? duno i beo one is the newer version with HRM or not
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 18 Nov 2012 04:51

Guyz... i was browsing the web earlier and com across this analogue display version of ABC origin from Germany.
In China taobao website, it's even listed as 500m WR, which i seriously believe that the mainlanders had got it wrong.
So far the cheapest price that i can find... is 550eu from German site @
plus.de : http://www.plus.de/Barigo-Penta-55-Mult ... lus-PlusDE#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sports.engelhorn.de : http://sports.engelhorn.de/alle/sportar ... sm=onmacon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any idea can get this in SG... perhaps @ better discounted price?

oOsiMm

Post by oOsiMm » 18 Nov 2012 08:07

I had bought two SUUNTO before,bought new from the retail shop and I can say they are precise instruments that you (any geeks,sportsman,adventurer etc) will wear on your wrist. The different between Casio A-B-C and SUUNTO variant is the precision SUUNTO can achieve,as what watchlooker bro had mentioned above. These SUUNTO has been tested and used by ppl in military and those mountaineers.

but unless you really need to get to a more precise reading,else I see that its more of a exclusiveness.. rather than the usual digital brands.

but definitely buying from ebay will save you a whole lot more of dough..
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 18 Nov 2012 22:27

Buying from eBay certainly saves a lot. But should there be any after purchase issues in the later days... Want to look for repair will be Problem. Dunno does local AD do repair service for non local purchase or not.

Anyway, why I brought this subject up, is becos one of my just called me last night asking me about a Suunto Vector he bought on Friday night. He paid abt 390, but felt that he kanna chop carrot.

This price okay bo?
stratix

Post by stratix » 18 Nov 2012 23:29

i have a suunto core, and to be honest, i dont really care if it's made in china or japan or finland like some of the higher end products.

because at the end of the day, as long as it works they way it should be, i think that is enough.

compared to protreks, suunto is said to have finer steps for readings, i.e, barometer comes in 1hPa steps, while protreks are in steps of 5hPa. same for altimeter, where cores count in 1m, protreks count in 5m.

but as always theres pros and cons la.

suunto core has no lugs, so if you wanna put on regular 24mm straps, you need to buy their overpriced straps which come with those metal bits so you could screw your straps on. and suunto dont sell it separately.

and, while the ABC functions are precise, cores have been rather poor in terms of timekeeping. my piece goes slow at about 1 sec per 3 or 4 days. of course nothing as compared to autos, but considering that some protreks come with multiband 5...

oh and buy from amazon! sometimes they have slashing in price and it can be 1/2 the price of retail stores in SG!
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 18 Nov 2012 23:47

yeah... most of us knows that Suunto watches can be get generally much lower price in AMAZON as well as other larger sized internet stores.
But...
Eventually, when things break down, we'll need to look for repairman to service our hoots. Suunto cannot be compared to the mechanical watches which most of us own. Certainly they cannot compared also to electronic quartz watches which is also in some of our collections, which the parts are easily sourced.
Like the expensive CASIO ABCs, Suunto needs specific repair with specific parts, most likely the internal IC. And these ICs needs to be changed thru only that specific brand makers. This will be the challenge of buying grey market Suunto i see...

On the flexibility of strap change... can the VECTOR and the AMBIT changeable?