Rolex Watches , Good As Gold ?

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
balzebub71

Re: Rolex Watches , Good As Gold ?

Post by balzebub71 » 24 Oct 2013 09:49

i honestly feel that we missed the boat for good value watches liao, now buy any luxury watch, regardless of brand means you lose money the moment you walk out of the store due to how insanely expensive they have become now a days. This applies to Rolex as well, which is why my personal take is, just buy what I like, what "sings" to me, re-sale value, brand recognition is always not a consideration, no one i interact with ever comments on my watches anyway; they are purely for personal enjoyment and also to make my wife angry haha
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 24 Oct 2013 11:18

Cheerupemokid wrote: agree with what has been stated on the post before me.
I noticed that the depreciation for a Rolex isn't that huge as compared to other brands.
However, what I noticed is that those Rolex made of precious metal (gold, platinum etc.) tend to depreciate more as compared to Stainless steel (Please correct me if I'm wrong).
You buy them at a very high price but reselling them seems a challenge. I do not see this as the case with Stainless steel version.
My observation is that apart from the stainless steel Subs/Exp2/Sea-Dweller/Daytona/GMTII, the rest of their offerings (excluding their Cellini line) still hold a good portion of their value but not as well. It is also true that the precious metal offerings depreciate alot more and I attributed it to the high initial markup of those models and the weak secondary demand for them.

Slight OT: Panerai seemed to command pretty good prices in the secondary market for the last few years but of late I think that bubble has burst.
Cheerupemokid wrote: OT:
Unfortunately, I learned the hard way. I kept buying then flipping watches (blame the itch).
I still ended up with a Rolex.
I have to agree with this, after flipping watches from several brands I still ended up with a Rolex as well. Sure the level of finishing isn't the best, there is no AR coating on the sapphire nor do they add novelties such as a display caseback but under the hood of their classic design lies a rather ultilitarian but proven 3xxx series movement.

Rolex gets alot of flak from the watch community mainly due to it's mainstream popularity but to me that isn't exactly a bad. It's mainstream popularity provides the brand with a liquid secondary market with strong resale values that not many brands have. With millions of Rolexes produced a year there is little worry about availability of parts for servicing in the long run.
Cheerupemokid

Post by Cheerupemokid » 24 Oct 2013 13:35

balzebub71 wrote:i honestly feel that we missed the boat for good value watches liao, now buy any luxury watch, regardless of brand means you lose money the moment you walk out of the store due to how insanely expensive they have become now a days. This applies to Rolex as well, which is why my personal take is, just buy what I like, what "sings" to me, re-sale value, brand recognition is always not a consideration, no one i interact with ever comments on my watches anyway; they are purely for personal enjoyment and also to make my wife angry haha

Missed the boat for good value watches! I like thr sound of that and I couldn't agree more :)
And perhaps more people appreciates the art of watches hence the increase in demand?

I wish my dad has the same passion during his time lol!
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 24 Oct 2013 16:28

Cheerupemokid wrote:...I wish my dad has the same passion during his time lol!
during our father's time, ROLEX was not so ex that in order to own it, they have to credit for loans... or installment as common as current time.
During those period, ROLEX in local market was branded as "劳力士", which literally sounds like "reward for the hardworking workers". So, during that period of time DATEJUSTs, OYSTERs was sold much more, in terms of popularity over the sporty subs. I remember when I ROD and entered the working society, my uncle told me to work hard for a ROLLIE. If cannot make it, RADO or TITONI also can. It's kind of symbol to show others during that time, giving others impression that we are "hard working folks".
But as time passes, so as the direction of ROLEX changed. Pricing goes up becos of marketing and advertising.
Instead as a symbol of rewarding ourselves, it became a symbol of, not applying to all, but branding some groups of individuals on their... status ... especially in this region.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Paladium

Post by Paladium » 25 Oct 2013 12:54

My dad received an Oyster Perpetual for his 20 years of service in his old company. Darn if only they had rewarded him with a 5512 or a 5513. The value will definitely be better and higher than the perpetual. Too bad my dad don't have the passion for watches. :(
Hoot 1st talk later!
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 25 Oct 2013 18:30

Ed.YEO wrote:
Cheerupemokid wrote:...I wish my dad has the same passion during his time lol!
during our father's time, ROLEX was not so ex that in order to own it, they have to credit for loans... or installment as common as current time.
During those period, ROLEX in local market was branded as "劳力士", which literally sounds like "reward for the hardworking workers". So, during that period of time DATEJUSTs, OYSTERs was sold much more, in terms of popularity over the sporty subs. I remember when I ROD and entered the working society, my uncle told me to work hard for a ROLLIE. If cannot make it, RADO or TITONI also can. It's kind of symbol to show others during that time, giving others impression that we are "hard working folks".
But as time passes, so as the direction of ROLEX changed. Pricing goes up becos of marketing and advertising.
Instead as a symbol of rewarding ourselves, it became a symbol of, not applying to all, but branding some groups of individuals on their... status ... especially in this region.
strangely my dad never bought any rolex watches, only rado, titoni, omega, the only rolex watches he bought were gifts for business partners etc
and i dont think i will ever want to buy a watch on installment or loan as it's not a necessary item; it's something "extra" so can only use "extra" cash to buy it.
Cheerupemokid

Post by Cheerupemokid » 25 Oct 2013 23:52

I'm pretty sure my Dad is a very hard working man. However, he never bought a Rolex.
I've seen him wore Citizen and Seiko but not at the same period.
Simply put, he is not a watch guy. (Some people are like that.)
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 26 Oct 2013 00:08

Well... not all fathers are the same. That's why i had mentioned of TITONI and RADO.
My father was not a watch person either. He rather work hard for a GALANT.

As time passes, generation's mentalities and attitudes towards brands are also not the same. This is where companies will work hard to identify so to shift the consumers' attentions towards the brands.
Last edited by Ed.YEO on 26 Oct 2013 02:40, edited 1 time in total.
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 26 Oct 2013 02:02

Ed.YEO wrote:Well... not all fathers are the same. That's why i had mentioned of TITONI and RADO.

As time passes, generation's mentalities and attitudes towards brands are also not the same. This is where companies will work hard to identify so to shift the consumers' attentions towards the brands.
+1. Different strokes for different men/times.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 26 Oct 2013 10:00

KKFA wrote:
Ed.YEO wrote:Well... not all fathers are the same. That's why i had mentioned of TITONI and RADO.

+1. Different strokes for different men/times.
yeah my father wasn't a watch guy, too bad for me haha didn't get any nice time piece handed down to me :(
he was more of a car and house type of guy..
I blame my first boss for leading me astray and starting me off on my love for watches..making me such a watch slut today... :lol:
Cheerupemokid

Post by Cheerupemokid » 26 Oct 2013 10:26

balzebub71 wrote: I blame my first boss for leading me astray and starting me off on my love for watches..making me such a watch slut today... :lol:
Funny you said this! Because I also blame my boss for teaching me how to appreciate Rolex. :ugeek:
I was quite happy with Tag Heuers and Breitlings. When I met him, all hell breaks loose.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 26 Oct 2013 10:42

Cheerupemokid wrote:
balzebub71 wrote: I blame my first boss for leading me astray and starting me off on my love for watches..making me such a watch slut today... :lol:
Funny you said this! Because I also blame my boss for teaching me how to appreciate Rolex. :ugeek:
I was quite happy with Tag Heuers and Breitlings. When I met him, all hell breaks loose.
heh at least your boss made you focus on one brand...my boss was/is a equal opportunity watch slut, so rolex, omega, ML, AP, VC, JLC, Corum, JR, there were days when he will wear 2 watches to work, one on each wrist :lol:
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 26 Oct 2013 11:34

I blame the world
I blame money not enough
I blame the forum
I dont blame myself.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Cheerupemokid

Post by Cheerupemokid » 26 Oct 2013 12:16

ivan wrote:I blame the world
I blame money not enough
I blame the forum
I dont blame myself.

Okay. I blame myself for being weak! Hahaha!
I'm such a weakling :lol:
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 26 Oct 2013 12:21

Cheerupemokid wrote:
ivan wrote:I blame the world
I blame money not enough
I blame the forum
I dont blame myself.

Okay. I blame myself for being weak! Hahaha!
I'm such a weakling :lol:
I blame rolex for so expensive.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 26 Oct 2013 13:59

I will never buy a Rolex or another Swiss watch.. Really... It will be just the Japanese and Chinese for me now... Really....[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
KKFA

Post by KKFA » 27 Oct 2013 16:48

balzebub71 wrote:I will never buy a Rolex or another Swiss watch.. Really... It will be just the Japanese and Chinese for me now... Really....[GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES][GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]
I believe the above was typed with tongue firmly in cheek.
As Sean Connery put it: Never say never..again...
chriscentro

Post by chriscentro » 04 Nov 2013 20:34

WOW, you showed me a car I liked during my secondary school days, really like this Galant and followed by the Lancer!

Anyway back to the topic, just saw an ad for a coke bezel Rolex, made in 1991 and selling for $5.4k. the depreciation is very low right.
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 04 Nov 2013 20:50

chriscentro wrote:

WOW, you showed me a car I liked during my secondary school days, really like this Galant and followed by the Lancer!

Anyway back to the topic, just saw an ad for a coke bezel Rolex, made in 1991 and selling for $5.4k. the depreciation is very low right.
Watches are like stock
Some appreciate a bit
Some depreciate a bit
Some like tio toto.
Some like eyes ta stamp, cmi.
ah_ong

Post by ah_ong » 10 Nov 2013 17:25

Hi Guys am new Here. For coke bezel or the pepsi cola Rolex is a nice GMT but personally find it too thin for the liking :) In the past I think that watch cost less than a 3K so for 5.4K I would say more appreciation than de pre hahaha