[A Look Back]- [El Cheapo Chinese Mech.]- IK Colouring 98168

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
Ed.YEO

[A Look Back]- [El Cheapo Chinese Mech.]- IK Colouring 98168

Post by Ed.YEO » 19 May 2013 01:39

It was 2yrs ago when i last had my gathering with fellow platoon mates after the reservist unit stand down, and all become M.R.
Ever since we went our separate ways, we had lesser chance to meet one another since we're so tide-up with our commitments.

When we reach the restaurant, all attendees were given a door gift by one of the platoon mates, who's also the organizer for the gathering.

When each attendees opened their box, they're surprised on what they see.
The most common questions asked are... "How much is this?" Obviously all of us do not expect a watch of this "fine" quality is given.
Here's a link to the exact watch now selling on a mainland china website. Scroll down the website's page to look at the respective functions of the buttons.
http://item.tmall.com/item.htm?id=10..._35_1695601460#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

From far, this watch looks like those multi-complication watches from ChronoSwiss or others with multiple dial displays.
Look closer, the watch is neat and smooth, with complementing bracelet that is polished at the side.

However, when i start to play with the buttons, i realised that-
the upper button- adjust only the month, located at position 12.
the lower button- adjust only the day, 2 step pressing to shift the needle from one day to another, located at position 9.
The crown is comfortable to grip with 2 fingers, not too small to turn. Pull out one step to adjust the date by turning anti-clockwise. Pull out 2 steps to stop the seconds needle movement, adjusts the time. 24hr indicator at the position 6 moves as well while adjusting time. When i adjust the time to 2345hrs, the date indicator starts to move, jumps to another date at exact 12am. The day indicator will only starts to move at 0130hrs, till a full change at 0300hrs.
The dial indicators are in ROMAN, painted with shiny blue paint. Which is also applied on the needles. This creates a high contrast against the white dial. All the small lettering are clear to read, without being too big that might disturb the layout.

After the dinner, i used it for couples of hours... couldnt really comment on the accuracy. But resting it side by side with my SANDOZ Submariner for 6hrs before passing it for my mum(for her to use as a dress watch, because of the larger indicators, to ease her sight), shows not much discrepancy, not even 1 sec to talk about.
As for power reserve, i would not expect the chinese mechanicals to be as competant to the japanese mechanicals as well as the swiss. So i would not really care that much.

Winding up feels a little rough... again... i wouldnt expect the chinese mechanicals to be that "smooth". Perhaps, i should send this piece to a watch service for some addition of lubrication.

Several days later, this watch really exceeds my expectation.
I initially do not have any high hopes on it's power reserve. Got the watch fully wounded and let it run undisturbed since first mid-night from 0230hrs. And it's was 0030hrs on 3rd nite, and the seconds is still ticking. 40hrs and still going on!
Time gain over these 40hrs- approximately 2mins.

What i like...
From far it looks like a high end watch, despite numbers of weaknesses that is existence on the built quality... such as the most important stuff like water resistence.
What i don't like...the seconds needle? with a cheesy and familiar end that looks a lot like the Mont Blanc logo...

Good buy?
It is a gift to me... hence, nothing to really comment on. But to others who maybe interested...you decide... base on the price listed on the website... i wonders if it really worth USD$36 or so to you...

Without further ado... let the pictures do the talking...
Pcitures taken 2yrs ago...

Pictures taken today...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Vinc04

Re: [A Look Back]- [El Cheapo Chinese Mech.]- IK Colouring 9

Post by Vinc04 » 20 May 2013 06:09

Interesting sharing boss.

Well I am not surprised over your positive feedback as I had encountered also quite a few "no brand" Chinese mad watch that is like worth $10 but yet kept decent time. At these low prices.. It really is VFM
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 20 May 2013 09:06

$10 mechanical?? Wah... Brudder Vinc got kangtau neber share... :sad:
To me,it's very surprising... A pasar malam watch like this should had gone kaput in just one year of usage liao... but that day when i put it on back to use over the weekends, until last nite... still about 5secs discrepancies against the laptop sync timing!!!
Too bad lah... the chinese watches in the market may have good stuffs, but no good watchmakers to service...
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 20 May 2013 21:54

Hve lah bro.. $20 vintages from china.. Mechanical
Winding and still gives good time keeping..
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 20 May 2013 21:57

Vinc04 wrote:Hve lah bro.. $20 vintages from china.. Mechanical
Winding and still gives good time keeping..
Orhh!!!
Those from the taobao one huh? I've been bugging one of my colleague who always shop in taobao... but no idea who sells genuine one ley...
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 20 May 2013 22:01

Have lah bro... Just have to be patient and look around. In fact I've ordered a $20+ plus Chinese mechanical watch recently.. Waiting for its delivery. One receive, will post comments
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 20 May 2013 22:03

热切期待!
xzqt

Post by xzqt » 23 May 2013 17:31

Chinese watches some time depends on luck.
If you are lucky, you may end-up with one that last quite a while and without much issue.
Than there is the "lemon" which just refuse to bend with you at time.

Post by 004 » 23 May 2013 20:19

What a Nice gesture from your platoon reserve mate to give you all a watch as a gift , its amazing that a mechanical watch can be sold at $10 & still make a profit :shock:
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 24 May 2013 22:26

MIKER wrote:What a Nice gesture from your platoon reserve mate to give you all a watch as a gift , its amazing that a mechanical watch can be sold at $10 & still make a profit :shock:
Bro, you go to http://www.etsy.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and key in china watches. There is this Ang mohh guy based in Hong Kong selling a lot of Chinese watches... Some as low as $20.. There was a few occasion some selling $10 for the head of the watch... In fact I've gotten two from him (one ag S$23 i think) and waiting for its arrival. My friend bought a eastern Germany watch and a North Korea watch fom him, condition is ok. Real vintages.. Movement is genuine, thus can say he is a trustworthy seller. Btw he always gives a return mail address which after google, shows that he is staying near the mid hill (high end area in HK??)

Once I get my two Chinese watches, I'll update you all.
Vinc04

Post by Vinc04 » 30 May 2013 21:01

alright, after 2weeks of waiting, the Chinese watches which I ordered finally arrived on my door step.

I'm not particularly into Chinese watches but bought these two because their outlook attracted me and also their price is ok in my opinion. So I'm willing to take a risk and ordered from this HK seller.

I bought two watches. The black seagull NOS automatic cost me S$50+ and the beige Shanghai mechanical manual winding is around S$25

Ask me if they are worth it? I say yes.. Coz I liked their look. Details and history about the watch unknown.. Probably from the 80's.

The black Seagull runs on a ST6 seagull inhouse movement from the 80's.. Everything seems legitimate and although I'm not into Chinese, I don't think people Will fake a seagull right? The condition is good and the lume still glows.

My favourite, this shanghai mechanical winding watch.. 17jewels. The white dial has aged evenly to a light beign color.. The Chinese characters wows me and what the heck.. It's S$25! We will like easily spend $25 on a trip to a restaurant right? Condition is ok..
Small ding at the 12o'clock crystal but not a big issue to me.

So overall.. It is damn possible to get a $10-$20 mechanical chinese watch if we do search around. (of coz these two not exactly like $10-20 but almost lah) Like what I've mentioned before.. These are decent watches.. And with a bit of oiling myself..
Clean up the surface and crystal... Change a new pair of leather belt.. There we go!

Hope this sharing is ok??
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 30 May 2013 22:09

This sharing is realli... i'm jellie!!!
Both piece is very polished! Very hard to believe that the shiny SEAGULL is only $50!! The Shanghai @ $20!!!
Really! You hooked charming rainbow fishes from the sea of vintages!

My view on your SEAGULL.
Very swee! Although some kind of oxidization can be seen on the bronze part, still the rest looks clean and shiny! The dial is clean, the case is polished...although not the kind of shine we see on new generation dress watches, still looks like new! The logo emblem seems to be a little oxidized on some parts, the SEAGULL word hold strong. The lumes, seems to be repaint and juicy! Remember to give it a a sun bath during the weekends so that it shines in the dark!
Only thing that bugs me... the cyclops that magnifies... err... 1.1 times? Doesn't seems to be very effective ley...
$50 well spent!!!

Onto the SHANGHAI.
Same as the SEAGULL, casing and movement went through some cleanup and polishing. From far, very hard to believe it's a SHANGHAI! The dial may show some aging effect, but not too exaggerating! From far... looks like vintage OMEGA! Even though in silver, the hands and hour indexes gives nice contrast to the dial. Nothing negative to pick on SHANGHAI.
$25 well spent!!!