Rolex Watches , Good As Gold ?

Swiss, German, Russian, Chinese and other watch companies
yoshiki

Re: Rolex Watches , Good As Gold ?

Post by yoshiki » 25 Jul 2013 16:43

Quasimodo wrote:....
And because of all the history, both real and hyped, Rolexes do command a certain degree of value retention and as such are the only watches that local pawn shops will accept. Incidentally, there is also a story that in the 60's and 70's, spooks from the west were issued with Rolexes as a means of carrying something they could easily sell in a foreign country to get cash in the event of an escape and evasion scenario to fund their efforts.

So I do think that for the time being, a Rolex is as good as gold, even if it's not exactly worth its weight in gold.
this reminds of "young and dangerous" movie, where the 'san ji' received a rolex from 'ho nam' when he is fleeing to Taiwan. heheheh.
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 25 Jul 2013 19:16

yoshiki wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:....
And because of all the history, both real and hyped, Rolexes do command a certain degree of value retention and as such are the only watches that local pawn shops will accept. Incidentally, there is also a story that in the 60's and 70's, spooks from the west were issued with Rolexes as a means of carrying something they could easily sell in a foreign country to get cash in the event of an escape and evasion scenario to fund their efforts.

So I do think that for the time being, a Rolex is as good as gold, even if it's not exactly worth its weight in gold.
this reminds of "young and dangerous" movie, where the 'san ji' received a rolex from 'ho nam' when he is fleeing to Taiwan. heheheh.
Yeah haha that's right! I watched all five again recently on a long haul flight :grin::grin:

Sent from my Nortel 1822
yoshiki

Post by yoshiki » 26 Jul 2013 13:20

herzausstahl wrote:
Yeah haha that's right! I watched all five again recently on a long haul flight :grin::grin:

Sent from my Nortel 1822
I was trying to look for the higher quality movie online leh. but all the resolution is not very good. want to support and buy DVD also no use.. alot of scenes will be cut. Sorry OT.
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 04 Aug 2013 10:44

Went shopping around for an explorer II white face, was trying it on at the shop, but suddenly felt it didn't feel like a 10k watch(before discount), it felt ordinary, didn't get that magical feeling putting it on, if not got the Rolex branding, I really would not have felt I was holding a watch worth so much?

Sales rep also showed me am Omega seamaster GMT which was in the same price category as the explorer II. Weirdly it came across as being the more expensive watch?

Now I am not sure if I should hoot the explorer II or consider my options?
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Solanum88

Post by Solanum88 » 04 Aug 2013 12:15

balzebub71 wrote:Went shopping around for an explorer II white face, was trying it on at the shop, but suddenly felt it didn't feel like a 10k watch(before discount), it felt ordinary, didn't get that magical feeling putting it on, if not got the Rolex branding, I really would not have felt I was holding a watch worth so much?

Sales rep also showed me am Omega seamaster GMT which was in the same price category as the explorer II. Weirdly it came across as being the more expensive watch?

I would consider my options, not a good sign if the watch doesnt sing to you prior to purchase imo.

I do think the Planet Ocean GMT actually offers more value than the Rolex.
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 04 Aug 2013 12:37

balzebub71 wrote:Went shopping around for an explorer II white face, was trying it on at the shop, but suddenly felt it didn't feel like a 10k watch(before discount), it felt ordinary, didn't get that magical feeling putting it on, if not got the Rolex branding, I really would not have felt I was holding a watch worth so much?

If you're. Buying purely because of resale value then i would say get the explorer 2. If you biying something to enjoy regardless of resale value yhen get the omega. But omega resale ain't too bad either, especially fr those ltd or rare edns. Like great white, etc
balzebub71

Post by balzebub71 » 04 Aug 2013 13:22

Jeryltan wrote:

If you're. Buying purely because of resale value then i would say get the explorer 2. If you biying something to enjoy regardless of resale value yhen get the omega. But omega resale ain't too bad either, especially fr those ltd or rare edns. Like great white, etc
Yeah that's what the sales consultant was saying, Rolex holds it's value better. Kind of disappointed they would tout that as the only reason to buy the explorer II. Unfortunately the Omega GMT isn't a LE model.
I want to be a one watch guy!!
Jeryltan

Post by Jeryltan » 04 Aug 2013 13:26

balzebub71 wrote:
Jeryltan wrote:
Yeah that's what the sales consultant was saying, Rolex holds it's value better. Kind of disappointed they would tout that as the only reason to buy the explorer II. Unfortunately the Omega GMT isn't a LE model.
I don't mean purely LE. Great white i think was a normal model but released in small quantity. There's 1 at monster time abt 5yrs old maybe?, selling 2650 still. It's the 1 with black/white bezel n red gmt. U can see fm their website.Nt sure why it's called great white actually. Lol. Anyway, it's just an example

Sev

Post by Sev » 14 Aug 2013 22:42

explorer 2 is a pure tool watch from Rolex, no half gold, full gold, diamond and other variant.
built for the task.

the new GMT Master 2 with half blue bezel is super nice, you should try that out.

i own a Explorer 2, tough watch.
But will not buy another rolex any sooner, rather buy 2 mid range Seikos. :mrgreen:
MonsterSumo

Post by MonsterSumo » 15 Aug 2013 10:04

Hard pressed to find any other brand locally that has the same level of resale potential as rolex locally. :lol:
But Rolex, Pam, Seiko or any other brand for that matter, if it sings to you, get first and talk later. hehe. :twisted:
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 15 Aug 2013 13:38

yoshiki wrote:
herzausstahl wrote:

Sent from my Nortel 1822
I was trying to look for the higher quality movie online leh. but all the resolution is not very good. want to support and buy DVD also no use.. alot of scenes will be cut. Sorry OT.
I watch on plane quality also like vcd... :grin::grin::grin:

Sent from my Nortel 1822
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 15 Aug 2013 13:46

I think you are decidedly undecided, and should just keep your money for the time being. When you buy a Rolex it should be because you want one. You use a bottega venetta wallet instead of urban stranger wallet because you want to. If doubts exist, you don't want it enough, don't buy safer. just my humble 2cents...

Sent from my Nortel 1822
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 15 Aug 2013 14:48

herzausstahl wrote:

I think you are decidedly undecided, and should just keep your money for the time being. When you buy a Rolex it should be because you want one. You use a bottega venetta wallet instead of urban stranger wallet because you want to. If doubts exist, you don't want it enough, don't buy safer. just my humble 2cents...

Sent from my Nortel 1822
Steady bom bi bi.....

May the Force be with you
Lgt

Post by Lgt » 15 Aug 2013 17:40

Buying a watch is just like marrying a gal.....must have feel. :)
But some buy a watch just to tell time, like marrying a gal becos she was pregnant.
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 15 Aug 2013 17:47

I have a wife and many GFs

herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 15 Aug 2013 18:10

ivan wrote:I have a wife and many GFs

Can this info be shared?

Sent from my Nortel 1822
ivan
HULK

Post by ivan » 15 Aug 2013 18:40

herzausstahl wrote:
ivan wrote:I have a wife and many GFs

Can this info be shared?

Sent from my Nortel 1822
I m using LGT analogy la.
My wife is GSmm
And I have many GFs.
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

sengki

Re: Anybody felt awkward after getting your first Rollie?

Post by sengki » 18 Aug 2013 22:01

Ed.YEO wrote:Clueless Rollie owner after his first catch.
From: http://www.discuss.com.hk/redirect.php? ... d=22315531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
原帖由 奴力氏 於 2013-8-16 01:06 發表
hi! 係甘的,本人玩錶年資尚淺,
起初只係睇下同買下小品牌,同埋貪玩借d朋友名牌錶戴,
但當我買了第一隻勞力士后,便每曰沉迷上網睇錶了。

幾乎什麼品牌都睇,奴力氏、帝驼、阿米ga等每日看不停,
連一些不知名品牌亦看不停,什至不知不覺又買了幾隻金表。
已到了不能自拔的地步,已無心工作。

想問各方師兄有無方法幫我解脱,是否患上了瘋狂購物症??
你地玩錶甘耐,有無觉得自己玩緊錶 ? 定糸一直俾錶玩緊你 ?
Literally...
"Hi! It's like this, personally i'm still quite a noob when it comes to watch collecting hobby.
Initially started with looking on and playing with small brands, at the same time playful enough to borrow some of the friends' expensive pieces to wear and play.
But after i got my first Rolex, i've become more addicted to go online every single day to look at watches.

Almost any brand i will not miss, Rolex, Tudor, Omega, etc... everyday, no stop.
Even some of the unknown brands will not escape my eyes as well, i had even acquired some gold watches unexpectedly.
I have to a stage where i couldn't control myself, even no enthusiasm to commit myself to work.

I would like to seek fellow seniors here for advise, is there anyway to pull me out of this addiction, had i contracted the "shopaholics" sickness?
You all had been playing with watches for so long, ever felt that you yourself are playing with watches? Or the watches are playing with you reversely?"
原帖由 奴力氏 於 2013-8-17 21:15 發表
我有時戴勞出街, 總有種不太自然不太好的感覺,
系咪即系我這人仲未到達配戴勞的境界/身份 ??
Literally...
"Sometime i when i wear my Rollie out, there's often this kind of unatural and doesn't feel good sense hitting my mind.
Is it someone like me have not come to a stage or social status where i don't fit to put a Rolex on my wrist?"

Bro you hijack the threat? how come title change from "Rolex watches,good as gold" become different title" Anybody felt awkward after getting your first Rollie?":lol:
Ed.YEO

Post by Ed.YEO » 18 Aug 2013 22:33

Hijack the thread? Hmm... no lah... just to highlight the summary only.
If you clicked the quote button, the highlighted title appears in your quote.
If you had clicked reply or quick reply, the title still appears the same as "Re: Rolex Watches , Good As Gold ?"

Back to what i had posted... it is relevant to the original post as there are lots of folks out there are as clueless as the HK fella can be.
How do we determine a value of the expensive piece? By the name? By the heart? Or just a personal vain?
Lots of fellow members here may not agree with me...
Very often we keep hearing or seeing Rolex keeps their value well. To be fair... i agree... when that particular piece may have been flipped to the 3rd hands. From there... the flipping price may not go too low anymore. However... to the first hand buyers, how much do they lost?
Flip after 1st year of possession? 2nd year? 3rd year?
Flip after 1st hand? after 2nd hand? after 3rd hand?
yan sang yew guo dak fai lok, zao yew dui yan hor see zou luo jik xing geh fan sik yu goon cha, ng hai zou yoo chun mong mok dek pan duun... yoo guo yi liong din doh mou geh wa, yat gor yan geh yat sang zao guo dak gey pok gai loh...
herzausstahl

Post by herzausstahl » 19 Aug 2013 00:03

Whoever has the time to ponder questions like that is really very free. I think I can speak for more than myself that I have many more pressing issues in life to worry about than to ponder over I play watch or watch play me siah.

Sent from my Nortel 1822